Switching Hard Drives

sztal

Solid State Member
I am looking to buy a new hard drive for my computer, and transfer the contents of my current one to the new hard drive. My problem is that I only have one slot for a hard drive, so as far as I know, cloning programs such as True Image wont work. Is there another way to transfer my drive?
Thanks

Just because you only have one slot doesnt mean anything, do you mean one slot as in, one physical spot to put the hard drive, or the wire only has room for 1 hard drive..?

if its an IDE HDD all u need is the wire with a slave and a master and u can plug both HDD's into one spot on the motherboard..also you could just get an external exclosure if you dont have any spots to put it in you computer. that just connects to a USB port..if you dont have an open USB port, get a USB Hub.

if i do a slave drive will it show up as one drive, or a seperate C: and E:.
Also is there documentation online that describes this process more in depth.

Thanks for the help.

No, they will come up in different letters..Ill look to see if they're is a tut...But all you do is set the old drive to slave, in the jumper setings, and the new drive to master...plug them in, and you should be good to ho..

is it possible to clone my current hardrive and save it to a DVD, then transfer the contents of the DVD to the new drive?

What you can do, is hook your slave up, and clone it via Norton Ghost.

However, the best, and easiest way, is to back all your data up, i.e music, films, docs, etc etc, re-installing XP, and that's it!

Yep, I just did what joxley said with new comp only had one problem with xp security on folder but sorted that out. XD

what is the cable called that i need to connect a slave/master?
i tried searching tigerdirect but couldnt find anything.

Back
Top Bottom