NTL internet slowdown... :(

Kage

Golden Master
This has been going on for a while now, and I don't understand it.

Were on NTL, on Cable internet, and were meant to be getting 2Megabits a second, and yet, were getting only 858.4 kilobits per second...

About a month ago, this was always reporting almost the specced speed, but since then, its dropped all the way down. We sometimes only get around 600kb per second.

I can notice the speed difference I tell you.

Reports from a mate with the same NTL connection has said it should have jumped to 4megabits free by now, and yet, I'm under a mb?...

maybe.. the positioning of your home to the NTL service provider. since i think cable is basically shared down a line, maybe your friend is a head of you, i know this occurs around where i live, my friends use comcast cable and.. one of them gets 900kbp/s while the others get around 250kbp/s

and um... i forgot the ratio between speeds, but um.. if 2 megabits=2048 kilobits. 2048 kilobits would equal around 250-300 kbp/s wouldn't it? i know my 768 kilobitp/s connection downloads at 100kbp/s max.

So maybe more people have got NTL where we are?...great...haha.
We have an NTL box right infront of our house though on the next street, so I don't get it :(

Plus, that wouldn't explain really why on that bandwidth speed test, I was getting loads more before than I am now.

This is a screenshot of what I have now:

speedofinternet.jpg

is that saying it takes you 10 seconds to download a 1mb file? that's 100 kbp/s
for a 2 megabit connection you should get at the very least twice of that.. i would call you isp and ask them what's up 'cause that really makes no sense at all.

Thanks, it doesn't at all does it...

Especially if it should be 4mb by now supposedly.

Im with NTL! I've heard about this free upgrade, but ours is no different. NTL are not that good, I have not been too happy with their service. Here's our speed, and there are four computers on the network at the moment..

Look at the difference, between a cable test, and an ethernet test.

Ethernet test:

untitledqh6.jpg

Cable test:

2qa3.jpg

Weird that your having the same problems...

I was happy until now. I wonder why the upgrade hasn't worked? And in turn has lowered it instead?

I'll defineitly get my dad to phone, being that hes the one paying it and all.

Maybe the set top boxes that my cable internets going through need to be updated?

Your never ever ever ever going to get any speed near what is stated on the packages. I have 8MB ADSL Max from BT and the fastest download speed I have ever had is 600KB/s. As you can see from the speed test below; my "download speed" is 6.9MB slower than what is should be. This is caused mainly due to the fact that even though you are stated to have fast internet, their is only so much speed you can download from any website's servers in the first place.

speed.PNG

Thats pretty poor too....

And I agree, but if you look at my above posts, you'll realise that in the past (like about a month ago), I was getting my stated speed of 2mbps, but now I'm not, and getting less than a mbps. Thats just wrong.

Ah, it goes through your set top box, ours does not.

I think you will find, if the set top box is being used, the internet will slow down slightly, put it on standby, and run tests, see if the speed changes.

Back
Top Bottom