New CPU for Dimension 8400

jladdm3

Baseband Member
Well my friend has a 8400, he said he kept getting overheating errors and just ignored them lol. so now his computer isnt in good shape. He gave it to me to look at, I tried to boot it up got some beep code that i didnt recognize. it was either one long or many short very quick beeps. The CPU fan did not move. So im guessing he burned out his cpu. Do you have any sugestions on what I should get to replace it? I believe it is lga 775, however I dont knowi havnt looked at it yet. Will the motherboard support the dual core? What should I get for a processor probaly around $100.
Thanks alot, I need yout help!

Any idea how I can find out what will work with it?... i dont even know what came with it. It probably will say what it is on the processor if I take it out.

get someone from dell to have a look at it, i think u can upgrade the cpu, but i would check with dell

There is no warranty on it, and i would have to call.... and thats gonna be a pain. Every time i look on their website i get the new 8400 info, and i need the old 8400. it would be great if they had a list of stuff thats in the computer and what it will support for upgrades... but i guess that would be too easy.

You can surely change the CPU of a Dell, those pretty much have to be universal. Finding a heatsink and fan might be a little harder, but surely can be done. Is the fan plugged in and free of any dust? It might just be the fan alarm going off.

yeah i know i can replace it my self, im just wondering what to replace it with... if i can upgrade it or not.

Well i took the air compressor to the fan and got that all cleaned out, it spins now. but still does the same thing when i try to boot... weird beeps and does nothing. Also it keeps restarting. some times when i plug in the power cord it starts right up and those weird beeps, i can her it restart, (fans and HD slow down) and starts back up and beeps some more, and keeps doing this until i pull the cord... maybe powersupply problem???

well if the cpu fan doesnt move and u only have the heatsink then prob yeh coz it will get hotter and hotter, i no from havin a dell 8300, they do get really hot and the fan is on full all the time, buy i new cpu 4 it it should be ok with a retail 1, u dont need any other fans 4 the pc coz they only come with a cpu fan in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom