British Accent

ThePower said:
Im From Stoke (Stoke-on-Trent).
There we use as much slang as possible, i've talked to many americans and they say, i should work on slwing down and trying using whole words..lol
See i can sometimes hear my accent coz im 14 and its changing)
ANd im like..*woow* awesome lol
But i would love to live in New York when im older coz my voice is real deep i find it very easy to do an american accent. But i dont talk posh, infact far from it, stoke is rough and thats how we talk.
Heres an old saying from near by where i live.
*Kos kick a Bow Agen A Wow An Ya Hed It Back Till Ya Bost It*

Of course we dont talk like that but..
we talk like this for example..
*Aup Duck, Cudda a Hva Pint Love*
My Northampton born cousin, always starts her letters "Ey oop, our Maurice", I'm sure she doesn't talk like that all the time, it's an ongoing family joke, she is a bundle of fun, in her 60's, my mother was born in Huntingdon, similar accent, they say "me dook", like in your Stoke really.

A broad speaking Geordie would probably say "gi'e the bairn some bullits" = "give the child some sweets"

ThePower said:
Im From Stoke (Stoke-on-Trent).
There we use as much slang as possible, i've talked to many americans and they say, i should work on slwing down and trying using whole words..lol
See i can sometimes hear my accent coz im 14 and its changing)
ANd im like..*woow* awesome lol
But i would love to live in New York when im older coz my voice is real deep i find it very easy to do an american accent. But i dont talk posh, infact far from it, stoke is rough and thats how we talk.
Heres an old saying from near by where i live.
*Kos kick a Bow Agen A Wow An Ya Hed It Back Till Ya Bost It*

Of course we dont talk like that but..
we talk like this for example..
*Aup Duck, Cudda a Hva Pint Love*
I lived in stoke when I went to uni, and I think it's a great accent...

and I love the way that everyone is duck, (A-up dook).
and everyone will reffere to everyone as duck, flower, petal, shoog (as in sugar).

My cousins also live in Burton upon trent, and that has a simillar accent to you stokies.

one thing this thread has made me realise is that it's very hard to write things with an accent. I mean I'm so used to writting things in english and I assume just expecting them to be the same for everyone else.

(like that thing with the name watt (what) that was on here a little while back).

Lol, I remember from somewhere an english person called someone else "my ducky". it was supposed to be affectionate though, wasn't an insult.

GlasseyeUK said:
Lock Stock and two smoking barrels is filmed in the supposed east end, its a fictional take on east end gangsters.

As for the northern accent beng a minority, I don't believe that is true, the UK has such a wide diversity of accents, that you can travel 25 miles and notice a different accent. In that aspect the wide variety of accents that a england have in opposition to the size of our population.

What is the correct English accent, the upper class 'toff's' accent, the cockney londoner, (a la Very atrociously bad Dick van dyke)??

Ha! How much I agree with that!

There are different accents everywhere, Manchester, Liverpool, Blackburn, evan different sides of Timperley! Haha! Scotland, Yorkshire..loads more.

ThePower said:
lol Jordie, love that accent :p
Why aye, ya booger, but yoor insultin' ya knaw, it's Geordie, not Jordie, ya stoak eedjit!...........[did the accent come over well?] lol.

natej315 said:
I wish I could speak british! it would be cool to be able to speak another language.
I thought that you're American, so that's defined as "American English", you're half way there already, old boy, pip-pip!!

Back
Top Bottom