Gaming Processor Differences

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
I've always wondered something... I have an Opteron processor, which I know is for servers and very good at number crunching. However, what exactly is the difference in performance in games when compared to an Athlon? Does anyone have an Athlon that is also running at 2.8 GHz (overclocked or an FX-57) and could compare CPU tests with on 3DMark05?

Or should there even be a difference?

There shouldnt be a huge difference in gaming. But in overclocking, yes. Since opterons are made for servers, they are binned a lot higher than their normal user counterparts. They use better silicon for stability and such. But the opteron 1xx series is just your normal san diego/toledo cores just tweaked a little better.

Basically all the opteron 1XX series are are renamed San Diego cores, like Ownage said. So I doubt there would be any difference at all.

The Amish Kid, what are your scores on 3DMark05 (graphical and CPU scores, if you don't mind, your total is in your signature)? I'm only getting around 7300 as of late in it, and I can't figure out why! That would be great if you didn't mind doing that. Thanks!

I dont have my best score saved so sorry(just reformated). I know my best score is around 8300. That is with everything overclocked and it barely making it through the tests.

With my cpu only running at 2.75ghz with the memory running at 275mhz and my 7800gt NOT overclocked I get about 7400. So the score you are getting is about right.

I've got my 7800GT overclocked just a bit above what you have in your signature, so I guess it is. My memory is also running at 200 MHz instead of 275, so that's understandable. Now, I just have to figure out how in the world I got that score. But, I still got it somehow! :D

Back
Top Bottom