British Accent

yes, lock stock was a london accent, except for the two guys who were northern,

Scotish accents aer easy to understand.
coming from the midlands I've grown up with a vast variety of accents all around me,
(I lived in south northants/north oxford).

to the south there is oxford, where they speak rather posh, (well some do).
to the north there is northampton, where I think there is no accent.
a little to the east of northampton there is a town called ketering, where the reginal accent sounds scottish.
obvisouly very far north there is a coventry accent, and even frther north a brummy accent (or how ozzy osbourn talks),
furter south of oxford is berkshire, where people talk like farmers,

I tend to find that whilst I believe i speak with no accent, people can identify that I'm from the region of the countrythat I am from, (maybe it's the lack of accent that gives it away!).

I used to watch rab c all the time when I was younger, so I don't really have no trouble with scotish accents.

root said:
yes, lock stock was a london accent, except for the two guys who were northern,

Scotish accents aer easy to understand.
coming from the midlands I've grown up with a vast variety of accents all around me,
(I lived in south northants/north oxford).

to the south there is oxford, where they speak rather posh, (well some do).
to the north there is northampton, where I think there is no accent.
a little to the east of northampton there is a town called ketering, where the reginal accent sounds scottish.
obvisouly very far north there is a coventry accent, and even frther north a brummy accent (or how ozzy osbourn talks),
furter south of oxford is berkshire, where people talk like farmers,

I tend to find that whilst I believe i speak with no accent, people can identify that I'm from the region of the countrythat I am from, (maybe it's the lack of accent that gives it away!).

I used to watch rab c all the time when I was younger, so I don't really have no trouble with scotish accents.
Northamptoners certainly do have quite strong accents, my cousin & his wife were both born in or near Northampton, they pronounce "come" "coom", they call friends & relatives "me dook" [my duck] an attractive accent!

GlasseyeUK said:
Lock Stock and two smoking barrels is filmed in the supposed east end, its a fictional take on east end gangsters.

As for the northern accent beng a minority, I don't believe that is true, the UK has such a wide diversity of accents, that you can travel 25 miles and notice a different accent. In that aspect the wide variety of accents that a england have in opposition to the size of our population.

What is the correct English accent, the upper class 'toff's' accent, the cockney londoner, (a la Very atrociously bad Dick van dyke)??

The queens english is considered 'proper'

David Lindon said:
The queens english is considered 'proper'

Yeah I guess so, but I know I ain't gonna go around talking like I got a spoon shoved up my backside.

I was born in London, and live in Manchester, but I get comments all the time about my accent but to me I don't notice it much, my ex always used to point it out and certain phrases come out right southern, but I tend notice the differences in their accents.

I actually think the study of language and accents is quite interesting, and thinking about it, its all about communication technology, 100 years ago, it was very rare for people to travel outside of their village and town, so you did tend to get very localised accents, which I think explains it in the UK.

Although in the states, although there is definately clearly different accents, they aren't quite as pronounced to me anyway, yeah you get the New York, or the Texan accents, but there doesn't appear to such a wide difference, which you would expect as the country is so huge.

I wonder if this is because America is such a young country, compared to the UK, and technology has increased greatly in the last 100 years especially telecommunications which maybe has diluted the accents, I don't maybe just a theory though

Well, I'm from Newcastle (North-East England) so I don't have the 'stereo-typical' English accent.

I talk similar to Sean Bean (played Boromir in the lord of the rings)

Im From Stoke (Stoke-on-Trent).
There we use as much slang as possible, i've talked to many americans and they say, i should work on slwing down and trying using whole words..lol
See i can sometimes hear my accent coz im 14 and its changing)
ANd im like..*woow* awesome lol
But i would love to live in New York when im older coz my voice is real deep i find it very easy to do an american accent. But i dont talk posh, infact far from it, stoke is rough and thats how we talk.
Heres an old saying from near by where i live.
*Kos kick a Bow Agen A Wow An Ya Hed It Back Till Ya Bost It*

Of course we dont talk like that but..
we talk like this for example..
*Aup Duck, Cudda a Hva Pint Love*

Haha, I dont have much of an accent at all, If that makes sense. Every once in a while I'll say a southern Y'all, or an Ain't, etc But Generally I speak without an accent at all.

People without accents can impersonate many different once easier. Also, For some reason I've always understood English peoples slang lol And Aussies' XP

ThePower said:
Im From Stoke (Stoke-on-Trent).
There we use as much slang as possible, i've talked to many americans and they say, i should work on slwing down and trying using whole words..lol
See i can sometimes hear my accent coz im 14 and its changing)
ANd im like..*woow* awesome lol
But i would love to live in New York when im older coz my voice is real deep i find it very easy to do an american accent. But i dont talk posh, infact far from it, stoke is rough and thats how we talk.
Heres an old saying from near by where i live.
*Kos kick a Bow Agen A Wow An Ya Hed It Back Till Ya Bost It*

Of course we dont talk like that but..
we talk like this for example..
*Aup Duck, Cudda a Hva Pint Love*

Yeah, that sort of sounds familiar. Dunno where I heard it but it does sound familiar.

Glasseye said:
What is the correct English accent, the upper class 'toff's' accent, the cockney londoner, (a la Very atrociously bad Dick van dyke)??
I see that David suggest that the "Queen's English" is the norm, now, he doesn't mean "upperclass" by this, more of an almost accentless English used by businessmen in the city, [London], I favour a mix of the two, straightforward, not posh, with a hint of local accent, bit like mine really, let's not wipe out the lovely dialects like Cornish, Norfolk, Fen district etc, come on you Brits, join P.A.L., the PRO-ACCENT LOBBY

Back
Top Bottom