Side panel: Want to add a fan

Aye, I saw that fan and thought it looked really good.

Only problem came when I looked at the specs.

28DB is still rather loud (all my other fans are below 20DB, except for maybe CPU).

Plus, for a fan spinning at 2250RPM, the maximum airflow of 19CFM is very poor indeed, considering 80mm fans have the capability to push around 25-30CFM.

My back fans for example are very quiet, but don't push hardly any air also (About 20 something CFM), and its pointless for the dragging in of air :(

I may have to have a look yeah for powerfuller, but not so loud fans.

I do have a 120mm fan I'm not using though which I was going to use, but I couldn't get through using a drill I found...

I suppose it'll have to wait, but I do have it marked out on the case now :p

Kage, you need what is called a holesaw, it goes on the drill and cuts a perfect round hole for you. That is if you are using an 80mm fan (3 inches). I know they make 3 inch hole saws but I don't know if they make them any bigger.

When I cut a hole in the top of my case (steel) I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to do it, though I don't think that would work for you. You could also use a tool called a "Rotozip" to cut through the plastic, it's like a router and allows you to cut odd shapes in things. But you'd have to buy one, and I'm pretty sure they are about $80-$100 usd or more.

Wow, I definetly don't want to be spending that much :p

Thanks for the suggestion though about the holesaw.

I'm pretty sure I'll find a way (120mm fan hole). I may have to give it to one of my dads mates or something that may do it for me.

I have designed my own case on paper actually, and may build it in 3D, and see what you guys think :D

Thanks for the support :)

Kage said:
Wow, I definetly don't want to be spending that much :p

Thanks for the suggestion though about the holesaw.

I'm pretty sure I'll find a way (120mm fan hole). I may have to give it to one of my dads mates or something that may do it for me.

I have designed my own case on paper actually, and may build it in 3D, and see what you guys think :D

Thanks for the support :)
Okay....120mm.....here's how you do it....
What you'll need:
a drill with a drill bit....about 1/2 inch
a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade
masking tape
a pencil

Start by putting masking tape on the plastic (so you don't scratch it and so you can write on it). Take and mark out your hole and mark the screws for the fan by using a pencil on the masking tape. Then take the drill and drill a starter hole inside the circle you drew for the fan so you can put the jigsaw blade into it.

Now, take the jigsaw and put it in the hole and start cutting along the line for the circle, go real slow and take your time so you do a good job and follow the line exactly. If you need to clean it up a little you can use a fine file to clean up the edge.

Now get the appropriate size drill bit and drill the holes for the fan and you'll be done. Just remove the masking tape and install the fan!

You just have to remember that when you are cutting with the jigsaw, you need to go slow and be careful because if you go outside the line. there's no fixing it. Let the tool do the work.

Hope this helps....

Hey, thanks alot for that, that'll help :)

Now, I just need to figure out a way of getting those tools and doing it :p

Kage said:
Hey, thanks alot for that, that'll help :)

Now, I just need to figure out a way of getting those tools and doing it :p
NP man, hope it turns out good for you.

Back
Top Bottom