AMD Cutting again

Socket 478 is Intel. They're EOL'ing Sockets 754, 989 and 940 because they want people to transition over to Socket AM2 and Socket F. No need to fret though, the process is very slow right now. Only the low end single-core processors are getting EOL'ed.

Who knows. AM2 will be forward compatible with AM3 processors, so that's a good thing, but you need a BIOS update. AM3 sockets won't be backwards compatible however, so it's kinda weird.

basically am2 is a poor excuse for a completely new platform that should be as big as what conroe promises. SO amd has to cover its ass by giving price cuts, and trying to maintain profits, or stop them from declining.

Yea, I just really hate to see 939 go :(

And AM2 socket isn't what i'd call a wonderful new invention to the computer industry. But then again i'm switching to AM2 again.

It's not supposed to be. I don't know why everyone is being so negative about it. The fact is, until AMD releases a new architecture for AM2, you won't notice much of a performance increase, if any at all. AM2 is purely to help transition their whole product line over to DDR2. Becides, now that DDR2 is becoming more widespread, it's becoming cheaper than DDR, which means it'll be worthwhile to go with AM2 anyways.

Back
Top Bottom