RIP Windows 98...

Windows isn't dieing, as for priating it, I highly doubt you'll much of a problem priating it and getting scott free off. I don't forseen microsoft wasting its resources busting up windows 98 priate rings anytime soon.

I was talking to a guy like that he knows his tech stuff but is short sighted. Said they shouldn't of done it, it was still good. 8 years in technology world is like 100 years in the car industry really if you think about it. Think back to the very best you could have 8 years ago, now think about what you have today.

I mean Intel has created a roadmap to 32 core CPUs

I'm still fairly sure it's illegal to download windows 98, it's unsupported, not free.
and besides you can't get any patches for it any more, and a lot of AV vendors have (and will) stop supporting it as well.

windows 98 had it's up points, I mean it had better disk partitioning tools than windows XP, (which can't for example format a FAT32 drive larger than 32GB).

lots of people still use windows 98 because it does the job and does it well... just imagine what will happen when MS try to phase out windows XP (which is now 5 years old!)

winodws ME was probably the worse os, but if u used the right hardware it would actually work pretty well.....i don't mind that they stopped supporting 98. it was good for it's time but i think people should move on...and thats what microsoft is trying 2 get people 2 do, is move on and make them more money! :p

98s a good os. i still use it on one of my other pcs. usually runs like a charm

Yeah, all of my friends are still running Windows 98. As far as being unsupported, Microsoft probably wants more people to upgrade to a current version of Windows... but there still will be, always, a lot of people running Windows 98. I only upgraded two years ago...

Yeah,

It's a shame in some ways, but I guess it had to be done... I mean, in Japan you can't have a car that's anymore than 10 years old, so...

Now comparing Windows 98 and ME

I have an old PII 200MhZ computer with Windows 98 on it laying around, and it still works fine... for just the basic stuff.

And I had one old PII 400MhZ computer with Windows ME on it, got so many BSOD's that I finally gave up on the thing.

I Think that pretty much says it all. :)

Toby said:
Yeah,

It's a shame in some ways, but I guess it had to be done... I mean, in Japan you can't have a car that's anymore than 10 years old, so...

Now comparing Windows 98 and ME

I have an old PII 200MhZ computer with Windows 98 on it laying around, and it still works fine... for just the basic stuff.

And I had one old PII 400MhZ computer with Windows ME on it, got so many BSOD's that I finally gave up on the thing.

I Think that pretty much says it all. :)

same, apart from i now have 98 on my 200mhz pc and i gave up with me on it

I used to duel boot my XP machine with windows98 for playing DOS games.

to be honest the fact that it's unsupported isn't really a problem, win98 SE works fine from the CD, and assuming that I'm reasonably careful about where I go on the internet then I suspect I'll never really have a problem!.

Back
Top Bottom