Compaqs = Decent Comps?

GreySteelFox

In Runtime
Ok, I've built a Compaq SR1930Z on their website and its only about $550 with no monitor. Here's the specs

2 gigs DDR2 ram
3800+ AMD CPU
Intergtagted souncard, I'll put my Aud 2 ZS in it
6150 LE vidcard, I put something bigger and better in later
160 GB HD
Dont know the PSU but I'll put my 430 watt in it

Would you say this is a pretty good deal? I dont want to build it because I cant trust myself. And is the 6150 LE card a PCI X card? If it doesnt even come with a PCI X slot then I wont even bother on this computer.

uhh no the 6150 LE is an onboard video card. I suggest upgrading the video card if you want to play games and stuff like that, because with the lower pipelines, you won't get the fps you want.

ive gotten HP in the past, but i know compaq is good, is that x2 3800? or just athlon 64 3800, if so id get the 3700 instead and then overclock it.

I just looked up your computer and it has 3 PCI slots and 1 PCI-X slot. So go ahead, you can add a video card later, but for now you have that crappy integrated card. So start shopping. It's all yours.

Its not the X2 and I wont be able to OC it, sadly. I'll probably end up getting this sucker mid september, then go out and get a 7600GT or 7800GT.

Looking good - although, if your going to be upgrading all that why not buy a BareBones kit? These come with the motherboard, CPU and RAM all preinstalled in a case, which is pretty neat.

I looked at the barbones from newegg and all of them are pretty crappy compared to the compaq. They dont have as many ram slots, most were AGP and none were a 939 socket. Doesnt Conroe come out at the end of this month anyhow? I wont get this compaq till September, so maybe by then this will get even cheaper. Can anyone figure out what the the PSU in it is? Need at least a 400w for the new cards.

Compaq....compaq....compaq...........

Well my current computer is a compaq and ived had alot of trouble so far,well first the DVD player stopped playing,then burning then then it stopped completely then the sound card stopped working in stereo,Then windows XP crashs so i cant use the control panel,so i went into system restore,AND IT CHANGES BOOT PARTITION TO DRIVE D:\,drive D:\
is supposed to be a recovery partition,well i did not work,i tried fdisk,Everything to change boot partition,in the end i formmated and im cureently running linux =( until i get a copy of windows!!!! Bye the way this all started about a month after the warranty expired!!!Customer service is crappy too!If your computer is out of warranty you have to pay $45 (AUS) to get some on phone troubleshooting,or they charge you $66 (AUS) for a set of recovery cd's,i did research and it is legal to copy windows xp cd as long as when i install it i use my licence key!!!!Compaq use Low grade parts,and instable systems and ver very crappy Customer service!!!!!

If i buy another PC,it will either be HP (HP is a part of Compaq but they use higher grade parts and better customer service),ACER or a barebones kit.or i will just build it myself!!!!

DEath to compaq!!!

neodude112320 said:
Compaq....compaq....compaq...........

Well my current computer is a compaq and ived had alot of trouble so far,well first the DVD player stopped playing,then burning then then it stopped completely then the sound card stopped working in stereo,Then windows XP crashs so i cant use the control panel,so i went into system restore,AND IT CHANGES BOOT PARTITION TO DRIVE D:\,drive D:\
is supposed to be a recovery partition,well i did not work,i tried fdisk,Everything to change boot partition,in the end i formmated and im cureently running linux =( until i get a copy of windows!!!! Bye the way this all started about a month after the warranty expired!!!Customer service is crappy too!If your computer is out of warranty you have to pay $45 (AUS) to get some on phone troubleshooting,or they charge you $66 (AUS) for a set of recovery cd's,i did research and it is legal to copy windows xp cd as long as when i install it i use my licence key!!!!Compaq use Low grade parts,and instable systems and ver very crappy Customer service!!!!!

If i buy another PC,it will either be HP (HP is a part of Compaq but they use higher grade parts and better customer service),ACER or a barebones kit.or i will just build it myself!!!!

DEath to compaq!!!
not as bad as dell! I accidentally messed up my recovery partition on my dell and i can't restore it so i have to go to buy a copy of windows and a new hard drive which i was gonna do anyways... I called Dell and my warranty expired like 3 weeks ago and they said I had to call their "Dell On Call Support" and pay 99 dollars plus the price for a Windows Disc!!!! No way am I paying that!!!!!!! I'll just go get a new HDD and copy of windows for not too much more than that!!! Dell has the worst products and worst support ever. I thought when I bought it was getting a good deal... boy was I wrong! Never again will I EVER buy anything from dell.

Back
Top Bottom