p4

gh0st09

Baseband Member
My dad has an intel p4 and it idles at 48c. it's stock clocks and coolermaster heatsink/fan. and load is never above 56c. is it cool to oc it?

yes those temps are good. My P4 goes to like 80C sometimes when gaming since the current hs/fan sucks. And it should be pretty hard to destroy a P4, since they start to slow down if the temps go too high.

I wouldnt try to overclock that. 56*C load is pretty high. I would get a new cooler and then try to oc it.

motherboard monitor. Well, it's a cooler master heatsink fan, and the gaming on this rig makes me want to just cry :(

Even if it is a Prescott those temps are on the high side, I'd look at case air flow and dust build up first, then maybe even reseating the cpu cooler using AS5 (or other 99.9% silver based thermal compound)

For comparison my Northwood with Zalman idles at 33C mid summer and never exceeds 45C under load, that said the northwood chip runs way cooler than the Prescott.

ha, i dont think there was a prescott core when this proc was made, its a willamette core. plus, im not worried about airflow and dust build up, the side panel is ALWAYS off and there is a deskfan blowing in side to keep the videocard cool.

gh0st09 said:
ha, i dont think there was a prescott core when this proc was made, its a willamette core. plus, im not worried about airflow and dust build up, the side panel is ALWAYS off and there is a deskfan blowing in side to keep the videocard cool.
thats bad.... u need 2 get a case fan and put the side panel back on, alot of dust gets in that way and also leaves ur parts vonerable 2 stuff. i did that when i thought my processor was overheating, it's not a good idea

Back
Top Bottom