XP won't boot

Justin_Garrett

Solid State Member
After doing a complete system restore by pressing F-10 on the setup screen it did the restore. MANY pop-ups come up saying "cannot recover file". I clicked ok...after the restore was over an error came up saying "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <Windows Root>/system32/hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file".

I can't even get into Windows. Any ideas??? I'm running on Windows XP.

the easiest thing would be to set the bios to boot from cd and shuv your xp cd in and do a repair instalation. youll still have all your files. you could also use the recovery console to replace that file (from the cd aswell) but i suspect you will get other missing files and errors also so id just repair if i were you
oh and welcome to cf :D

dude1234 said:
the easiest thing would be to set the bios to boot from cd and shuv your xp cd in and do a repair instalation. youll still have all your files. you could also use the recovery console to replace that file (from the cd aswell) but i suspect you will get other missing files and errors also so id just repair if i were you
oh and welcome to cf :D
I can't get to the bios because Im on a Compaq and there locked.

Ohh man.....you got some corrupt files there, if you put in your windows XP cd and do a repair install it should work. But if I were you, and depending on how long your windows installation has been on that pc, I'd recommend a complete reformat and start clean with a fresh install. I know it could be a pain, but it's your best bet.

Are you sure? They give you a Windows CD when you buy it, along with several "system recovery" and "application recovery" discs.

Back
Top Bottom