Advice on upgrading DDR memory

htown

Beta member
I have an Intel D865PERL mother board and 400Mhz paired 1G memory. I have two open slots on the board. My question is should I add another PAIRED set or just one 1G memory stick?

How critical is it that the name brands match up if at all. I have never herd of this memory chip maker before, Patrist. The label is "PSDI 1G 400K"

Also, is there a faster CPU I can put in this thing as well. I currently have an Intel Pentium III 3Ghz CPU.

Thanks,
Houston

well.. i don't know what socket that motherboard is so i can't recommend another cpu. but um.. yeah i would stick in a 1 gb stick instead of a 512 since it allows future upgradeability.
um...name brands don't really matter unless you plan to run the ram in dual channel. but since ur mobo sounds relatively old (idunno) it MIGHT not even support dual channel technology, in that case, company doesn't matter, but if it does support dual channnel tech, having identical sticks would be much more efficient than having say.. one from g.skill and another from crucial

htown said:
I have an Intel D865PERL mother board and 400Mhz paired 1G memory. I have two open slots on the board. My question is should I add another PAIRED set or just one 1G memory stick?

How critical is it that the name brands match up if at all. I have never herd of this memory chip maker before, Patrist. The label is "PSDI 1G 400K"

Also, is there a faster CPU I can put in this thing as well. I currently have an Intel Pentium III 3Ghz CPU.

Thanks,
Houston

Its Pentium IV , 4. The Pentium III was 600MHZ to 1GHZ. I would get 4x 512MB. If you 2 x 512MB than get just 1G gigabyte stick.. unless your motherborad supports dual channel?, If so than get 2 x 512MB so it would = to 4 x 512MB = 2GB

well.. i would still go for a 1gb stick. and in the future when you consider your computer to be lagging behind in speed, just buy the exact same memory and plug it in. voila, dual channel.

I would get 2 x 512MB, if you have the money.. If you dont than get the 1Gb stick

One last question? Can you recommend some good manufaturers that you would use yourself and perhaps what I can expect to spend?

Thanks again for help.

I'd go with OCZ, Corsair, G.Skill, or Kingston; prolly expect to pay around 70-100 depending on quality.

Back
Top Bottom