What hogs more resources?

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
Which uses the processor more?

Which uses the processor more, Integrated video, or integrated sound?

I'm assuming video, right?

Thats an interesting way to say it, anyways, I would suppose video. Although, getting a sound card (and assuming you have a video card) can reduce FPS in games, so that could be argued that, the sound takes more resource too use.

Pretty close in comparason. But if you were looking to get a sound card, or a video card, I can defintly say the video card, unless of course you dont play games, or dont have 5.1 and you have a 5.1 sourd setpu.

just depends.. A video can use its own GPU power to play a game.. OPENGL. But if its D3D it mit use the cpu more. The sound, Im not sure. But I think it uses your cpu just alittle bit ;) but why you ask this? getting a new System and PM sent

ArrizX said:
Thats an interesting way to say it, anyways, I would suppose video. Although, getting a sound card (and assuming you have a video card) can reduce FPS in games, so that could be argued that, the sound takes more resource too use.

Pretty close in comparason. But if you were looking to get a sound card, or a video card, I can defintly say the video card, unless of course you dont play games, or dont have 5.1 and you have a 5.1 sourd setpu.
dont u mean it can increase fps? lol ive seen some pretty interesting benchmarks of with a sound card and without and having a soundcard seems to make a pretty big difference, but ya intergrated video deffinately uses more resources since its using the ram for its memory

Like X1337 says, it depends on if the video card uses its own GPU. If not, then obviously the video card will use more resources because it is running constantly. Sound doesn't run constantly unless you are playing music. Plus the video runs with all those colors.

Yeah, though you'll notice, they both hog up the PC enough when they are intergrated, as you'll notice slow downs, lags in sound when the processor is working, etc.

Your best off getting dedicated boards for both.

Kage said:
Yeah, though you'll notice, they both hog up the PC enough when they are intergrated, as you'll notice slow downs, lags in sound when the processor is working, etc.

Your best off getting dedicated boards for both.

Very true, so if you have the money to support getting a new video card and sound card, I suggest doing so. And Kage will tell you, better performance by far with dedicated boards.

Yeah, You could get a rather cheap video card that could out perform onboard video.

You could also buy a cheap sound card which would only cost you about £15 from Creative, which could outperform any onboard sound.

On board sound is terrible at best:

Lags when the processor is loading,
pick up's from hard drive, etc, iterfering with signal,
Better quality sound to speakers (which of course is a must if you have good speakers of any sort)

I'd guess if your not too into gaming, the new TurboCache video cards which have their own memory, and share memory from RAM wouldn't be too bad (Newish games in standard resoloutions, with low settings, can get around average, the 30fps mark)

For the Sound card, a Creative Sound Blaster Live or Creative Audigy wouldn't set you back much.

Back
Top Bottom