Router Problems (can't post in Network section)

My problem is that only one computer can go online at one time.

The Details:

ISP: Earthlink DSL
Router: Old: Linksys WRT54G v5, BRAND NEW ONE | D-Link DI-604

So we got this DSL about 4 months ago. It came with the linksys one. That router worked great for all this time, and then about a week ago the internet would quit working. So I would go and shut everything down, and start it up agiain and then the internet would only work for about 15min. But if I connected the DSL modem direct to my computer the internet would work just fine.

So in the end, my dad got a new router. The D-Link one. Which we set up yestorday and it was great. All we did was plug it in, we did not turn off computers or nothing, and it worked!

Well this morning my dad wakes me up and says the internet quit working again. So I try everything I can think of. I followed the manel exactly.

SHUT OFF COMPUTER > SHUT OFF MODEM > TURN ON ROUTER > PLUG CABLE INTO MODEM > TURN ON MODEM > PLUG OTHER END INTO ROUTER > TAKE ANOTHER ETHERNET CABLE AND PLUG ONE END INTO SLOT 1 AND OTHER INTO MAIN COMPUTER > TURN ON.

And then the internet would work just fine. Then it says to plug in all other computers into the router. So then I do that. Then it goes on to say go to

htp://192.168.0.1 (which I belive is to access the router?)

And then rin the wizard and it will do the rest...well, I can not even get there..

For some reason no computers can get to that address. Also, only one computer can have internet at a time

EXAMPLE: I will be using the internet on my computer and then my dad will wanna go on the internet on his computer, he opens up his browser and a earthlink set up page will say type in pass word to gain internet, so he does but then I lose internet.... and vise versa.

But the thing is that it worked just fine on both computers yestorday...I am totaly lost. I have called there help place but it is busy... PLEASE HELP :confused: :(

BTW: Sorry, for some reason I just timeout in networking section.

Read the instructions, and get into your router settings. It must be something in there. Or contact your ISP, they might have something to do with it.

Have you tried rebooting the router? Maybe you are getting DNS resolution problems. If not, then it is probably with the ISP. Does it have the same issues on any other computer?

That IS the problem...I can not access the settings for the router.

"Does it have the same issues on any computer?"

Okay, the problem is the router will not let more then one computer have internet. Only one can have internet at a time. If I get on I wil have internet, but then if someone up stairs wants internet, they get on, and I will not longer have internet...

Not trying to sound rude, justed really pissed off about this... :mad:

To do this, you might have to disconnect the Internet. But after you disconnect the Internet from the router, try to access the router from there. If you can access the router's settings, look for something limiting Internet access. If there isn't anything limiting Internet access on your router, it might be the ISP having a restriction on the Internet access in your house. Look into both those options.

Back
Top Bottom