OLD OLD OLD cpu overclocking

gh0st09

Baseband Member
My dads computer is a 2001 HP pavilion desktop. P4@1.8 ghz 512mb of ram and an 80gb HDD. It's an ASUS mobo thats really old and I'm not so sure if its safe to overclock the cpu. The video card is already overclocked, it's a geforce2 mx400@237/188. I cant find any cooling solution for such old parts, that I have to keep the side panel off and have a desk fan blowing inside the computer. the Cpu fan is a coolermaster heatsink/fan. Is it safe to overclock?

The bios is probably locked so u can't oc. But if u can then go ahead, just keep an eye on the temps. And what socket is the cpu? There probably are still some aftermarket cpu fans&heatsinks for older sockets too. Just make sure that u can change the fan&hs, u never know the old fan is placed in the prebuilts.

I'm not sure what socket it is and I haven't look in the bios for any changing capabilities. I've had the fan off and it's easy to take off.

Either it is Socket 478 or Socket 423, but you have more chances getting a 478.

the bios doesnt even give you the ability to alter the fsb, the only thing I can change is the multiplier it's set at 8 and the next one is 10. I'm afraid changing the multiplier will fry it.

Go find out the chipset and download clockgen according to the chipset. And just raise the FSB, you will have to do this every time you restart though.

Changing the mulitplier shouldn't fry it - it just won't boot, you then clear the CMOS and it should be fine again.

prosser13 said:
Changing the mulitplier shouldn't fry it - it just won't boot, you then clear the CMOS and it should be fine again.

That's exactly what it will do. Go ahead and change it, gh0st09, but if it doesn't boot, take the clock battery out for about 15 seconds, put it back in, and be happy you still have a working computer! ;)

If the temps are getting too high already, and you can't get good cooling for it, I would keep it be. However, if it is Socket 478, you can get some really good cooling for it. I use the socket myself, and my heatsink and fan are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom