Windows Live Messenger

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
I bet more people would use Windows Live Messenger to webcam if the quality improved. Why is the video not smooth, and the audio choppy all the time? Everyone I am webcaming with has DSL connections. Is that not good enough for good quality webcaming? Do we need to upgrade to cable, or even FIOS to get smooth video, and clear audio?

I have just installed to Messenger Live with Messenger Plus Live.

I have always had broadband that offers a 2mb connection, so can't really offer any help.

It is very high bandwidth though, so cna be choppy on slower connections.

Check your webcam settings though for a compression setting. I believe setting this higher compresses the video so it passes through easier.

Tell your contacts to do this also, and you should get smoother results.

I dont think that is the program, it would be your internet speed. Mine runs nice and smoothly.

i thought my connection speeds were good though,,,,,they are:

download speed: 1508 kbps (188.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
upload speed: 373 kbps (46.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

and the other person's is about the same numbers.

is there anyone else with those similar connection speeds out there who uses messenger for webcaming that i can compare to? does your's come in real smooth video and clear audio?

it depends on the person your speaking to's connection too.

Try my help on compressing the webcams video.

I don't like Messenger Live though. I think the look of its awful compared to the other.

Yeah, it depends on the connections of both people. If there's one on dialup, it will be choppy for both.

kage, there is no video compression setting to adjust in windows live messenge that i could find.

jordan, the other person has dsl also, with nearly identical upload/download speeds to mine.

Go to Tools, Webcam settings.

Depending on your webcam, there should be compression settings. (Least there is on mine)

Kage said:
Go to Tools, Webcam settings.

Depending on your webcam, there should be compression settings. (Least there is on mine)

no compression settings on this webcam..it's a logitech quickcam communicate stx

thebigdintx said:
kage, there is no video compression setting to adjust in windows live messenge that i could find.

jordan, the other person has dsl also, with nearly identical upload/download speeds to mine.
What version of Windows live Messenger do you run?

Back
Top Bottom