Anyone shed any light?

another quick follow up-i've seen that amd 64 3400+ run at 2400ghz. Does this mean that it is running at the same speed as my p4 2.4?!

thanks

tobias123 said:
another quick follow up-i've seen that amd 64 3400+ run at 2400ghz. Does this mean that it is running at the same speed as my p4 2.4?!

thanks

the clock speed is same, but the performance in the amd is a lot better. Amd processors do more work per clock cycle, so they don't need a high clock speed to be effective.

i see. So i'd be improving my spec by getting anything upward of amd 64 3000+ i guess? Also i'm looking for a decent graphics card sub $70/£45(i'm british!). Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks for all of your help

tobias123 said:
i see. So i'd be improving my spec by getting anything upward of amd 64 3000+ i guess? Also i'm looking for a decent graphics card sub $70/£45(i'm british!). Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks for all of your help

Yes, a amd 64 3000+ would be an improvement.
And u really can't get a good vid card with such a low budget, u might be able to get a fx 5500 or a fx5700, but they are old and pretty weak. The cheapest decent card there is is the 6600GT, probably a little over $100.

Yeah, or if you have the money and willing to use it, go all out and get the 7600gx. That is a sweet video card for the money. It will run the games without a problem most of the time, depending on your other specs.

The current AMD 939 processors would lift some of the load off of your current cpu. Go for the 3400+, since you can overclock to an 3500+.

Ok, there are two main types of processor, obviosley, AMD & Intel.

Seeing as how you have previosley used Intel, may I suggest another Intel..? Definetly dual core, you will love it.

Clock speed - It's the standard, factory speed of a processor, or anything for that matter. 2.0Ghz seems to be standard now, although, some people want more, so alot of processors are being produced that hit the 3.0Ghz mark. Obviosley, buying a faster one, means a faster computer, but remember, you could always overclock, if you really wanted to.

FSB - (Front Side Bus) - It denotes the speed at which your processor interacts with the components on your motherboard, such as RAM, etc. FSB speed is hitting the 1066Mhz mark now, but tpyically, they are 333Mhz, 600Mhz, and 800Mhz. Then, clock multiplyer comes in..overclockers manipulate the stock speeds, ie 500Mhz FSB X 5.0 clock multipler = 2500Mhz = 2.5Ghz.

What is your budget? If you're looking for cheap, nothing beats the Pentium D 805. Just wait for the end of this month, because it'll be about $93 about then. :D If you want Core 2 Duo, the E6300 should MSRP for about $183 and it runs at about 1.85Ghz. Sounds weak, but the Conroe core performs wonders. :D

Back
Top Bottom