Backup question

trance-n-e

In Runtime
Yo I got a question. For instance, if I backup on one computer, and than save the file to a disk and go to another other and restore the system from that file, will I have all the settings and files just like on the first computer? Oh and if Windows Backup is the best software to use (the built in one I mean) or if theres a better choice.

If you want a complete backup, its best to get Norton Ghost.

It makes a complete image of your hard drive, you can simply load onto a dvd (or whatever), and load back up, uncompressing all the data. That'll load everything back.

The Windows one I believe does the same thing, yet I've never tried it.

If you just want some files, get a CD-R or CD-RW, copy the files, write them to disc by pasting them onto the disc file viewer and clicking burn in Windows Explorer.

Then copy them off the disc ;)

I want the files, settings, registry, etc. I want my second computer to be exactly like my first.

I heard that Norton Ghost, when it takes an image of ur drive, than messes up your system or something. I have no clue how backup works.

Nope, it won't mess up your system if you know how to use it :p

Norton Ghost is the only real way of doing what you want.

Though if you are building a new system with XP, theres a chance Windows won't accept the new system, as any changes like a new CPU needs to be formatted to work.

You could do something.

If you got hold of PowerQuest Partition Magic, I believe you could create a new partition with the drive you have now without having to format.

I believe you could then resize the one now, giving enough room for a new Windows installation on the now empty new partition.

You could then make Norton Ghost backup the partitition with all the data on it, put it into the new PC, with the new partition for windows. Add Windows to the new partition, and then it should work.

IF THERE IS A NEW DRIVE:

If there is a new drive, you won't need Partition Magic.

Go to Windows setup, make a new partition and install Windows on it.

Now, make Ghost make an image of the other drive, and then using Norton Ghost on the new computer with the newly created Windows, put the data/system files, etc, onto the partiiton without windows on it.

Then restart, uninstall Windows on the one with the files on, and then you'll have one Windows, with all your files.

Then go back to the Windows backup, hehe, and back up system settings.

Place these on the new Windows...

In that case, just install Windows, and try and using the Windows backup to send all the settings/files to the new one.

Back
Top Bottom