Installing PATA and SATA with WIN XP

toodles

Beta member
I just built an ASUS barebones T1 with a Celeron 2.66 and 1gig memory. I set up the SATA hd and installed Windows XP Pro and added applications. I thought I could add my old drive by getting an external case connected by USB and use my old drive that way but found out, apparently, that is wrong. So I decided to make a bracket out of some aluminum to get the bottom of the drive off the bare metal and put the old IDE drive (which is a 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 w/jumper set to master) in the second optical drive bay. I hooked it up with the power and ribbon connectors. So, when I boot up and go into BIOS, both drives are recognized but when I ask to to continue to install in either safe mode or regular, it will not go.

First, is it possible to use the drives with the same operating system on both?

Second, is there a way to solve this by telling the BIOS which drive is to be the master? I have read remarks saying that with SATA and PATA in this unit, you do not need to have a master.

Any other comments about the setup will be appreciated.

Also, this is my first post as I just registered and I put my full name as my ID. I tried to go into my profile and change it but found no way. Is this possible?

For the first question:

Yes. When installing Windows, simply select that drive to install it on.

Second:

Not really. First, set it with the cable. Then, some BIOSes such as my Abit one will allow you to choose the hard drive order - this is the order at which the drive is looked at and the contents processed.

I got my name changed to this one, which I use everywhere now, by PMing David Lindon.

BTW, SATA doesn't have a master and a slave, only IDE. So, stick the SATA in and the PATA as master, and poke around in the BIOS.

Thanks but maybe I was not clear. I installed the SATA with WINXP and some applications, programs, etc. and have the machine running with one drive. But, when I try to add the Maxtor, it will not boot to either.

Thanks! I found the setting in the BIOS. It had defaulted to starting the PATA first. When I changed to start the SATA first, it worked.

If I remember correctly, most motherboards default to PATA before SATA when they are connected together. But through the BIOS you can change the controller preference. I know it sounds like I am just repeating what happened, but I think that PATA takes priority over SATA.

Back
Top Bottom