Secondary IDE Problems

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

For some reason, my secondary IDE port has stopped working. I've tried different cables, devices, and everything is enabled. I recently removed my motherboard to install a new chipset fan, and since I've done this, it will not detect anything on the Secondary IDE port, which was providing my optical drives with a data-path. Nothing is detected in the BIOS or Windows. I'm really stumped here, and I really need it to start working again!

Thanks for your help!

Anyone? I really need to get this fixed, I have no optical drives!

More than likely your mobo ide port just took a dump on you or its your secondary hdd that died. I would try going to a computer store and buy a new motherboard and try that. If that works then there you go. If not buy a new hdd and see if thats it.

That is a very odd problem. Are you sure you have tested all the connections? If so, go into you BIOS and see what you can do there. See if there is like an Enable function for the IDEs... Tell me what you get... Also, just try an optical drive from a friend... Are the jumpers in right? Let me know! Good luck!

I'm positive they work guys... The cable works, the optical drives work, everything is enabled... I really hope my IDE port is still working. I guess I'll have to buy a PCI IDE card if all else fails, which means more money... :(

Guys... I really need some insight here. I also tried uninstalling the Parallel ATA channel in the Device Manager.

Most likely a mobo dump, what type you got?

EDIT: Nvm, i just noticed in your sig....how long you had it? well it shouldnt be doing that because ASUS/abit/msi are the top rated mobo companys, i would be REALLY suprised if it had to do with mobo, most mobos DO Not go bad, i actually have never seen one go bad in my time..

Wait, you said you TOOK your motherboard out? i doubt you were careful enough, and maybe hit something, scratched a chip or something. i dont know..i actually have no clue now..

I was careful with it, I did scratch it, but in no way near the IDE ports... Stupid pliers slipped out of my hand. It didn't hit it hard, though. And, I had to take it out to get the old heatsink out. There wasn't another option. I'm just so surprised one of my IDE ports went out! It doesn't have any kind of error or anything!

All it takes is a scratch on the IDE bus and to cut a circuit. Can you see a device in the BIOS under the secondary IDE controller? I am leaning towards bad mobo. I think it might have gotten damaged with moving it around. Did you discharge yourself on the case before messing with it? Let me know what turns up.

A small scratch can cause big problems, even in seemingly remote places. I am, like the others, leaning towards a bad mobo...

Back
Top Bottom