Need your help on buying this PC

daftburger

Solid State Member
PC novice here... that annoying time has come again where I have to buy a bloody PC. A joy to most of you I'm sure but to me it is a major hastle!! :rolleyes:

I use my current rig :)D first time ive used that word) for:-

word/excel/access/surfing/email/lot of downloading movies&music/ipod

not particulary interested in gaming but would still like the option to run a half decent game for 30 minutes before I get bored :)
so how about this one????

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2-4200+ Dual Core
with HyperTransportâ„¢ Technology
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center
ASUS A8N-SLI nFORCE 4 PCI X Mainboard
1024MB DDR 400 Memory
300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
256MB nVIDIA Geforce 7600GT Graphics
Dual DVI,HDTV & TV Out PCI Express
19" Viewsonic VA-912 TFT LCD Monitor,
DVI & 8ms response time + Built in Speakers
Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer
7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Logitech Desktop KB & Optical Mouse
£834 quid

It is from meshcomputers, is it a good deal? Am I skimping on anything?
I set myself a £900 budget with a 19" monitor.

Good advice appreciated! Even a nod will do

Thats a very good PC right there. Only I dont suggest getting XP Media Center, its useless to me. So if you can, than pick Home or Professional instead of the Media.

I agree with rance-n-e. That system is NICE! But to get Windows Professional... media center edition is useless.

That's a nice system :)

ViewSonic make excellent monitors BTW :p

My mate got the Media Centre OS and he says for the extra £15 you get a nice front end and a snazzy remote, so you might as well keep it :)

It all looks great :D

Why windows media? I don't know! What is it?? What's the difference;) It just came with it and I overlooked upgrading to xp pro

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition[upg £ 25.00]
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition[upg £ 35.00]

there is the upgrade costs, extra £10 for this x64 edition (?????) worth it? No idea! Please advise

I'm very happy there is positive reviews of the system :)

-- One query I have, having browed these fine forums I see news of a AMD price drop 24th July due to 'conroe' !? Should I wait ?:) Seem to be always waiting when buying a new rig~

Windows Media Center Edition comes with a Microsoft Remote and adds a front end which you can use from across the room to play videos, listen to music and watch TV(if you have a TV card).

The x64 version is for 64-bit processors, and basically is a marketing scam to make you believe you'll get a twice as fast PC. The problem is that while the operating system might be a couple of seconds quicker at loading up, many drivers are only BETA and so are not very good and 99.99% of process are not 64 bit, so you don't get any boost from them at all.

energyblue_sm.jpg

Media Center Edition comes with this added front end:

rev-xpmce2005-mainmenuLG.jpg

As well as a remote like this:

fernbedienung.jpg

So, for the money, you get some pretty neat features :)

You also get a slightly changed look of Windows :)

nah, i never use media center. never never

i have almost the same PC as you, a 4200 and a 7600gt. i have another gig of ram, but you'll vbe really happy with that pc

trance-n-e said:
Thats a very good PC right there. Only I dont suggest getting XP Media Center, its useless to me. So if you can, than pick Home or Professional instead of the Media.

I would definitely pick Professional over Home Edition. Just more features and security than Home Edition. I have Home Edition and am patiently waiting for Vista to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom