Need HELP!

TheBurninator

In Runtime
Hi,

I just put together my first computer, and here are the specs:

-MSI K8T W/ an AMD Sempron64 2800+. Bought at CompUSA for 150 w/ replacement gurantee.
-NVidia GeForce 5500 O.C. 256mb graphics card. Bought New at Wal-Mart for 89.99.
-Unknown case, but it's new with some smudges and whatnot.
-PNY 1024mb (1GB) DDR333/PC2700 Ram. Bought at Circuit City for 105.99.
-LG DVD/CD-RW combo. Came with our old computer. works good, still very quiet.
-Unknown media card reader. Comes with 2 USB 2.0 slots.
-Mitsuni 3 1/2 Floppy drive, very old, but functional.
-Western Digital 40GB HDD, works great, and no dead partitions.
-mouse and keyboard, both used, but functional
-HP pavilion 17" CRT monitor, used, but functional
-300watt ATX PSU. Bought new at CompUSA for 40

Here's the problem, when I boot up the comp, it posts, goes to the logo screen, then this message comes up:
FXO 093 Media Test Failed, Check cable
FXO 065 Now Exiting ROM
Insert Bootable disk, or go into bios to select desired boot drive.

Then sometimes it says this:
PS2 Keyboard not found (even with the keyboard plugged in)
CMOS checksum BAD.
Press F1 to enter Setup
Press F2 to boot with Optimized Setup

With the XP OS disk loaded, it proceeds to install windows, as normal, and when it restarts, it displays one of the 2 error messages above, and restarts and does the same.

I'm not sure what the hell is up with my comp, or if I did something bad, but some help would be appreciated.

Corey

Go into your BIOS and see if the boot order/ boot devices are properly configured. Also, like it says in the error message... check your connections!

If it says CMOS Checksum BAD, that means theres a problem with your BIOS.

What you need is to report it to your manufacter and ask for an RMA.

prosser13 said:
If it says CMOS Checksum BAD, that means theres a problem with your BIOS.

What you need is to report it to your manufacter and ask for an RMA.
well it could simply be a bad battery or the battery needs 2 be reset

take out the small silver battery called the CMOS battery for about 30 min, then put the battery back in and see what u get, that could help or solve your problem

btw make sure u know any bios settings you changed before you do this because the changes you've made will be reset

True - but my reasoning was that if it says CMOS Checksum bad, it means the actual contents of the CMOS are corrupt, so I don't really see how removing the battery could mix that.

But do try taking out the battery. Don't worry about the settings - if its going to work, it'll not show the errors on default settings.

prosser13 said:
True - but my reasoning was that if it says CMOS Checksum bad, it means the actual contents of the CMOS are corrupt, so I don't really see how removing the battery could mix that.

But do try taking out the battery. Don't worry about the settings - if its going to work, it'll not show the errors on default settings.
yewa but mine said that after i updated the bios, but it fixed itself :) plus you might have jumpers on your motherboard 2 reset settings and all 2 manufactered :)

All boards have jumpers, at least all new ones.

But removing the battery does exactly the same thing, but slightly better :) As it isn't relying on the motherboard to know what to do.

Check the BIOS. It almost sounds like the battery is going bad. Also check the connections from the motherboard to the hard drive. Start there, then we'll go from there.

Back
Top Bottom