PLEASE HELP ME!!! Wireless Internet Connection Issues

Temporaryuser

Solid State Member
Hi, i am new to this so i might be a bit behind.
When i used to log onto windows, my wireless connection always used to automatically connect me to the internet. However, it now tries to connect but fails and tries again. I have waited for hours for it to connect but it dosnt and i have tried restarting my computer. I have been told to right click the "wireless connection" icon (bottom right) and then clicking "repair", it then retries connecting to the internet but stops when it says "renewing IP address" in the window that pops up. It dosnt change from this screen until you abort the repair by clicking the "X". Also, if i right click the "wireless connection" icon (bottom right), click "status", and then click on the tab named "support", under "address type" it says "invalid IP address".
I have tried "System Restore" and when i hover the mouse over the "wireless internet" icon it says at the bottom, "aquiring network address".
Again please help me.
Thanks

First check device manager to see if there are any problems with your hardware. Also try resetting the router. Do you have a laptop or desktop? What brand router? What wireless connection, USB adapter or PCI?

Also try typing "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes) in the command prompt.

Make sure that the PC is set to DHCP

Start-->Control Panel-->Network Connections

Right click your Local Area connection-->Properties

Highlight TCP/IP-->Properties,

See if Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are checked

Also go to a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and type ipconfig /all in the prompt. If the IP address it gives for the wireless adapter is a 169.254.X.X address, check the DHCP server on the router. Sometimes the service that assigns IP addresses for the router stops working and needs to be reenabled.

Thank you guys very much, i did the "ipconfig" into the comand prompt and it says the "ip address" is "0.0.0.0" and the "subnet mask" is "0.0.0.0" which is definatly wrong.
By the way: i use a "USB adapter" for my connection, my wirless router is "D-LINK" and i have a desktop.
Thx agen!!
Please reply.

Is your wireless adapter turned on? Some laptops have a button to turn off the wireless adapter. Also, check your router, because if the wireless adapter for the machine is turned on, then chances are that it is the router. Check the DHCP service on the router. Another thing, try pinging the router by its DNS name or its IP address. This will be able to for sure check that the wireless is working. If you can't ping from the impacted computer, try another working computer. Let me know what turns up.

sorry, i dont have a clue what youre going on about. I am about to phone a computer man so he can help me by actually using it. thnx all u guys anyway though!!!!

Back
Top Bottom