Insert a disk into drive A?... WHAT FOR!?!

MikeReiner

Golden Master
Everytime I open opera or try to open my display settings (clicking the advanced button on the settings tab page under display properties) it complains about there not being a disk in drive A:... "umm, yeah, sure, ok, WHAT FOR?!" So I get really annoyed and disconnect the drive, and not it bitches that it's not ready. Real nice. All of a sudden my modern windows XP pc is relying on hardware that should have ceased to exist a long time ago.

I don't understand why this is happening, it's all new to me.

I know it's not a virus.. I just reformatted and reinstalled XP two days ago... I'm at a loss guys, help would be appreciated.

Edit:

Well blah, I guess I should just try things before I ask for help. I uninstalled the floppy drivers, now it is leaving me alone.

@Mods, close this or w/e.

Make sure the power cable is disconnected and the floppy ide cables are disconnected from the drive as well as the motherboard

Jsy said:
Make sure the power cable is disconnected and the floppy ide cables are disconnected from the drive as well as the motherboard
Yeah I learned that the hard way. at first I just disconnected the power, but then windows picked it up again. So I disconnected the cable from the motherboard this time, now it's fully cut off. I hate floppy drives.

If its accessing in some way My Computer, this could occur.

You'll find if you open My Computer, it searches for the floppy if its connected, even if nones in it. The same happens with a CD, if a CD or DVD is in.

Thouhg its weird that its actually saying no disk is inserted, and telling you about it.

I don't have a floppy drive installed, though its in the case, just incase.

Uhg, now it's just saying that it picks it up and installs drivers for it everytime I restart my computer... yet the floppy isn't in no way connected to my PC. I go into the device manager and get rid of it, restart, and it says that I have one and installs for it. This is completely retarded. I knew windows could be annoying sometimes, but this is just plain ridiculas.

I am just about to snap and reformat my hard drive and install windows to get rid of this. I can't stand this.

Have you turned the floppy off in BIOS?

I'm sure thats possible...

Yep, it is... Although, your BIOS shouldn't detect anything, either, if it isn't there...

True, but it might be worth doing, as then in Windows, it'll have no chance of detecting something thats not there, because a floppy disc won't exist :p

Kage said:
Have you turned the floppy off in BIOS?

I'm sure thats possible...
That worked, woot, thanks.
Jamxx said:
Yep, it is... Although, your BIOS shouldn't detect anything, either, if it isn't there...
Yeah, no kidding.
Kage said:
True, but it might be worth doing, as then in Windows, it'll have no chance of detecting something thats not there, because a floppy disc won't exist :p
And worth trying it was.

Back
Top Bottom