In your view...is it alright to steal software?

I have alot of different views on this..

Firstly, I can bet everyone on this forum, has some sort of illegal software on their computer, or an illegal file, I mean, my OS is illegal lol, however, companies should do more to protect it, can could go out there now, and download thousands of pounds worth of software, for example, the other day, I got AutoVad 2007, worth £4000 odd pounds, took me 20 minutes to get, and I have downloaded movies, songs, everything, which I never feel guilty about, because the majority of music/files on people's computers, are downloaded from P2P/torrents.

If companies really wanted to stop piracy, they would take companies, such as BitLord, Limewire, etc, and sue them, to stop people having the means to download such material. Oh yeah, for sure, alot of torrent software, such as BitLord, is used for legal purposes, for downloading legal torrents, such as Linux for example. Personally, I think it is fine to download things, in which you should pay for, however, if it was really urgent to put it to a stop, companies would try and do something about it, Ok, yeah, some ISP's do stop torrents downloading, and people do get in trouble, but that's not enough, whenever I download torrents, I dont get a call, or get in trouble. Sometimes, I do go over the limit, over the 5GB limit, and I do get a call then, but if Im downloading a torrent, I dont get in trouble.

However, singers, actors, film-makers, etc, do make their money by selling in shops, and if majority of people can just d/l it, from P2P, for free, then that could be harsh..

Nik00117 said:
Its damn hard for me to feel guilty knowing I jsut took 12.99 away from a man who makes a 100,000 a month on interset.

Exactly, just one person, just you, just me, just another person, just another county..you get where im going?

The thing I make sure I do, is before I obtain a film, I do go and watch it in the cinema, because the cinema is generally alot better then watching it at your computer..

But I feel there are two opinions to this subject, and I support them both, in different ways, but yeah, I do download illegal software & material, and no-one will ever be stopped, at least until the internet comes to a stop..

And that's James' political talk done for the day..

Well, heres how i look at it

Movies-I download movies mostly that i'm to lazy to rip, and/or went to see at the theaters, so they already got my $12

Music-i just download a lot of music

Games- its not worth it to dl games, cause u cant play online witout a new cdkey anyway

Software- Okay, heres where it gets interesting, okay, now i'll admit, i downloaded Macromedia Studio and Adobe Suite, but i use those to learn from, i'm not making stuff and selling it, im just learning how to use it, and i think that if i hadn't downloaded those things, i wouldn't know how to do the things i do now

well thats how i look at stuff

Exactly..I should really get that OS sorted..

I also think, if you just download, and dont share, or sell, it's a little bit more alrite..

please dont give companies the idea to start sueing limewire ect.....unless its only for programs and not songs lol. im scared of getting sued,very scared

As one guy here said, by d/ling more and more, more programmers are being layed off, because the company either cant pay, or doesnt wana pay. I am still only 16, but in grade 10 I took a programming class, and had to work with Visual Basic (I know its very easy for some of you people) and for me it was a painful, but rewardign experience. It takes months if not years of sitting there, brainstorming, and pretty much kiling yourself to come up, and build, a working software.

joxley1990 said:
If companies really wanted to stop piracy, they would take companies, such as BitLord, Limewire, etc, and sue them, to stop people having the means to download such material. Oh yeah, for sure, alot of torrent software, such as BitLord, is used for legal purposes, for downloading legal torrents, such as Linux for example. Personally, I think it is fine to download things, in which you should pay for, however, if it was really urgent to put it to a stop, companies would try and do something about it,

U probably have no idea how many times companies have tried this.
But they can sue the creators of bittorrent as much as they want, there is nothing illegal about the bittorrent client and so there is no way for them to stop people using bittorrent.

So maybe sue the websites sharing torrents?
Well u guessed it, they have tried. But again, they are not sharing anything illegal.

The only way is to sue single users, and yes many companies are doing that, but it's just impossible to make p2p stuff stop by getting 1 user at a time.

Here's my take on it,
If software can be pirated easily, then that company needs to work on their protection of the software. I don't download music illegally (anymore) because I had kazaa crash my computer a few years back. I just buy the music or have someone burn me a copy for it. If people wanna download stuff via p2p clients, I don't care because I'm not really an anti pirate activist. I will tell you all something though... I rent movies from netflix and burn a copy of them, then send them back the next day. I don't burn them for anyone else but I do keep them for myself, saves me money! alot of people say it's illegal but is it really? i've read that it's not as long as it's for personal use. I say if you wanna download something off the internet, go ahead!
One thing I don't get is why people freak out over burning CD's! they think it's illegal to burn CD's of any type, music, applications, videos, or whatever. I say that Computer companies wouldn't put them in their products if they were illegal.

Maybe i'm wrong on all this but I just wanted to jump in here,
Troy

Actually there is a project called Trusted Computing where hardware will notice priated software. However its illegal to produce and sell due to that it restricts a lot of the freedoms.

Its so much easier to DL a file, then go buy it. Make it easier, and worth my time to buy it and I just might.

Nik00117 said:
Its damn hard for me to feel guilty knowing I jsut took 12.99 away from a man who makes a 100,000 a month on interset.
Yeah, well... :p That is a good point. I wasn't agreeing with the commericial... I was just posting it.

Back
Top Bottom