Ram/video Problems

Rossi003

Beta member
I installed an extra 512 ram w/ and existing 512 to speed up my ping. a day later i was in the middle of the a game when i'm assuming my video card went nutz. Green bars appear vertically on the screen and the graphics turn blocky and crazy. I have an ati but its about 3 years old on an emachines. it was working fine until i put the extra ram in any suggestions? :confused:

Run memtest86 on your memory (go to http://www.memtest86.com and download it). Make sure once you extract the contents, put it on a floppy and use the floppy as a boot disk to test your RAM. This program will NOT run in Windows.

I use this memory testing program:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

You can run that one in Windows.

Run that, let it complete 200%, and if you get any errors report them here.

Are you sure that you didn't knock the graphics card, you might have moved the heatsink and it could be overheating?

Nothing all clean is it possible that i installed too much memory and it fry'd the video card somehow? It doesn't always go screwy it comes and goes i usually just restart the computer and hope it doesn't happen again. which it does. Maybe i just need a new video card?

What slots did you put them in? are you trying to dual channel your ram? or no, there is some questions you need to awnser first. Orange and purple? try one in orange, one in purple, if that doesnt work, try boh in purple or orange. DId you buy the right type? did they ship the right type?

Is the memory compatible with the motherboard? If it is, try putting the memory in alternating slots to dual-channel like shown below:

5 | 5 |
1 | 1 |
2 | 2 |
^ ^

If that doesn't work, try to get an RMA on the RAM (no pun intended). It should work if in the correct slots. Did you try taking the RAM out to see if it worked fine without that RAM? If it does, the problem lies directly with that RAM stick. Let me know what turns up.

if ur trying to go duel channel it might be the problem. dual channel require timings on both stick of memory to be the same.

yea i hvae them in dual channels. i took the one i put in out and try'd it that way and the same thing happend. So i put it back in. As far as the right type it is the computer searched for the right stick and so i bought it. is it possible that there is too much ram for my computer. i only have 1.8 ghz so its not that fast.

Nope, thats not possible.

As long as your motherboard supports 1GB dual channel memory, which I'm guessing it does, it should be fine.

(Check at bootup how much memory its finding) - Should say close to 1024 in terms of kb's, not mb's, so the number will seem longer.

If it says another number, since its pre-built by a company that might support less RAM in its motherboards, then something could be up. I'm sure it should be fine though.

Plus, the memory in my known life, isn't known to cause instabilities on the graphics card like that.

Back
Top Bottom