Services and Startups! Oh joy!

Kage said:
...I do have a question though. Where do you go to set these to Manual/Automatic, etc?...

Go into Administrative Tools. Then go to Services. From there you will have a list of the installed services. Right-click a service, then go to Properties. Then there is a combo drop-down menu with Startup Type. Select from Automatic or Manual, depending on your liking.

trance-n-e said:
Give who a call?

Your wireless card manufacturer, and ask them why the heck your service for their card is taking up 321MB of RAM??? (Less politely if you want)

trance-n-e said:
Hmm. Well iPodService is definetly related to your iPod, so if you still have one, id leave that on.
No, I believe it's unnecessary still... it's either licensing, or automatic updates... just check the site and don't tax your computer.

Anyway...

Okay, well following that damned guide I screwed something up... I'm not connecting to my network. I've checked all the wires. Something here I disabled may have screwed it up, but I'm not sure which:

Distributed Link Tracking Client
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Routing and Remote Access
SSDP Discovery Service
Terminal Services
Universal Plug and Play Device Host

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services_2.php

And, from 74 down to around 50 background processes...

And just to note, since my internet's down on my big rig, I'm using a fresh one running on 1GB RAM and AMD 4400+ X2. It's fairly new, and is already running 55 processes! Somehow it's running smoothly... :(

And here's a pic of my task manager, the full guide to the crappiness that is G9's overtaxed computer...

taskmanager5mf.png

I'm drooling for a Mac at the moment. :(

I'd run a virus scan/spyware scan if I were you.

And Macs will be targetted soon enough, I'm sure.

Kage said:
I'd run a virus scan/spyware scan if I were you.

And Macs will be targetted soon enough, I'm sure.
I've run plenty of virus scans already.

I need to know which service is essential to find the network address. I've connected to the wireless network, but it won't connect to the internet. That's all I need to know.

wow you have every thing running. I would go to

Start-Run-Msconfig and go to the start up tab and disable everything, then restart into safe mode and let your spyware, and anti virus programs run then reboot into normal windows

dude go ahead and kill

alg.exe(Applciation layer gateway service
ATI2evxx.exe(video card)
ATI2evxx.exe(video card)
CTFMON
Firefox
gnotify
ipod service
itouch
itunes
judsched(Real one platyer service)
mdm(Machine debug manager)
notepad
services.exe
setpoint
spoolsv.exe
spysweeper
wbload
wdfmgr
winpatrol
wmiprvse

Thanks man... but which one did I accidentally delete that I need to access the internet?

Why is this a sticky?

I made this thread, and if you would have read the #4th post...you'll see that i said i would sticky it for a while...meaning a week or so.:p

God... I think I'm going to Norton Ghost my system... :(

It's been slowed down as all PC's do naturally, over time, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom