ram

billozz

In Runtime
guys,
is it possible to buy ram that is no good, i occassionally got a message saying that my memory was too low so i upped from 512 to 1gig of ram, but i still get the same message sometimes so i am not sure what difference the new ram has made. to be honest i am not really sure what the ram does anyway, is there anyway to test the performance of ram.
i assumed that when i start the computer the start-up processes would speed up with the extra ram but they dont seem to have speeded up at all, but like i said i am not sure what ram is for anyway
help please

yeah run memtest, it will tell u if there is anything wrong with the ram.
If u get some errors then try taking out the older ram stick and then run the test again.

thanks guys,
i have downloaded memtest but when i run it there is just a flash of what i think is a "msdos" screen nothing else .....?

I have never heard of getting an error message about bad RAM..could you post a screenshot?

billozz said:
thanks guys,
i have downloaded memtest but when i run it there is just a flash of what i think is a "msdos" screen nothing else .....?

You need to copy the files onto a floppy or bootable CD and run it as a startup disk. My money's on that that screen said this is not a valid Win32 application. This program needs to run in DOS, so copy the files onto a floppy (preferrably). Then just boot to the floppy/CD.

Back
Top Bottom