Laptop vs. Desktop

Sahed

Baseband Member
Well, my parents told me I can buy a computer next year when I finish high school, but I still have hopes of getting one sooner. Now, when I get to buy one, I have two options. A desktop or a laptop. Now I've gone through some points, but am still thinking of which is the better choice.

Desktop:
-More power for a cheaper price
-Can be custom built to save some money
-Will look super cool with an awesome case :D

Laptop:
-Portability

That's basically all I can think of for laptop, but the main reason I'm not just jumping towards a desktop is because I want to major in computer technology. So, if I was to major in computers, shouldn't I get a laptop so I can take it to school with me. I ask you because maybe someone here like a MOD has some experience with going to school with laptops and can tell me how useful it was. If it had no use, then I'm getting a custom built desktop.

When you ask those questions, think of this:

Do you travel alot? And will you take it places that would be safe? (unlike a friends house). Just not smart, LOL

But seriously, do you need the portability, or do you just like the idea of it?

Unelss you need it for college or a job, Desktop is the better choice.

Laptops are always good if you wana go places. Its lower specs, but it wastes less electricity and is ofcourse, small. If I would be going into a computer major, I would get a laptop.

All I'm really going to go is college, work, and home. I have nowhere else to go, but the thing I want to know is if it's good to use at school fi trying to become a Computer major. The real question is, am I going to need to bring a computer to school if I'm majoring in computers?

Sahed said:
All I'm really going to go is college, work, and home. I have nowhere else to go, but the thing I want to know is if it's good to use at school fi trying to become a Computer major. The real question is, am I going to need to bring a computer to school if I'm majoring in computers?
I am currently in a computer science program and I can tell you that a laptop is a nice thing to have. It's nice being able to bring all your files around easily and always work on the same machine.

Will you need a laptop for college if you're in a computer program? No. The school will most likely provide anything you need (if it's a half decent school at least) so you will be able to use computers that are set up at the school. Many of your classes would probably take place in a lab or class with computers at each station.

I won't deny that a laptop is a nice convenience to have for college (especially to those in a computer science program), but it is not a necessity.

That's good to know. I'm going to ta;l it over with my brother of course and I'll see where we go from there. Thanks for the help.

You should probably contact your college about if they provide computers at there or not, but most likely they do.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Still though, even if they did have computers, it's going to be a cheap, low budget one. Maybe I should ask what type of computers they hold, too.

Well if you could get hold of one where your going, I'd get a high speed desktop PC, and then have a low budget laptop.

That was you have portability when you need it, and power when you want it as well.

Back
Top Bottom