ram question

erock

Baseband Member
okay i have a compaq desktop computer and a dell that no longer works that ran windows 2000 millenium edition. i was wondering if anyone could help me. i was thinking about adding some ram to my compaq and i had the idea to take it out of the dell computer and put it into the compaq. i dont know if this can be done or how to do it so if anyone could tell me i would greatly appriciate it.

It should be ok, since most ram is universal ...just try it out, but make shure it's seated properly ..if the slots don't line-up, it won't work.

Edit: just a note...unplug the computer 1st.

First off, make sure that the RAM takes the same slot, and is the same speed and type. That would be your first step, after you have confirmed that it is compatible, then it's just take the sticks out of your Dell and put them in your Compaq. Be aware though that this will invalidate your warranty on both the Dell and the Compaq. If that matters to you, don't go through this procedure and have the manufacturer or the retailer you got the computer from to upgrade the RAM. I think that Geek Squad guarantees their work, if they come out and do it. You might want to look into them. Let me know what turns up.

i already put another hard drive in so i dont care about the warranty but im not very electronically inclined so if its not too much trouble could you guys help me with checking the speed and other things mentioned please

okay i just checked and its not the same connections so i would like to buy a new one and could anyone tell me what i need to look for as in characteristics, i would like at least a 512mb but a 1 gig would be sweet, and im assuming that both rams i have will work at the same time but im not sure, as i said before im not electronically inclined. so if anyone can help i will love it. thank you

Back
Top Bottom