Need recommendations for first computer build

Hey,

The problem is that at the moment buying something will get you superseeded in a months time. And when these guys saw your budget, they just wanted the best for you - but as it's not their PC, they might say wait a year until quad core CPUs come out.

Personally, I would say go AM2. It'll be relatively future proofed, and you could get a really nice dual core ;)

To go with that, grab something like the Asus M2N32-SLI-DLX, which is a really nice motherboard, and 2GB of low latency DDR2 RAM.

Next, grab a 7900GTX - you can then add one of these later if you feel like it.

Finally, a single Western Digital Raptor X along with a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint P120S, a decent 500W+ PSU, and any case which takes your fancy, along with a DVD writer such as the Pioneer DVR-111DBK and, if you've got anything left, a Creative X-Fi sound card.

Ok, here is what I think you could go with:

Processor: AMD FX60 Toledo (as you metioned) $813.99 (@ newegg.com)
Mobo: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (as you mentioned) $184.99
Graphics Card (s): You have the money, buy the new 7950GX2 $589.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB $286.62
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X (10K RPM!!!) 150GB and Western Digital Caviar 250GB Total: $419.99
Optical Drives: Get a DVD Burner... ~$50
Case: IDK, you need choose one you like ~$100 : )
PSU: Again, find one that suits your needs, go for one with around 500 Watts +

Total: $2565.58

Ok, so that is what I think. All these parts can be found at newegg.com. This rig will be able to play ALL games at Max settings, or it should... This is just what I think. People will most likely disagree with me, but if I had 3500 to spend, this is how I would spend it. You could upgrade to the FX62 for an extra $385 if you want. Yeah, this system will last you a while! If you have money left over, go for a water cooling system too. That would be awesome.

Instead of a FX60, why not recommend an FX62 :p

He's got the money, he should buy the latest possible hardware so thats its as future proof as possible - which is AM2.

That hard drive, the Caviar, is unfourtunately very slow :(

And whats the point in a 7950GX2 when the drivers for quad SLI are rubbish at the moment and the 7900GTX is just as good as the 7950GX2.

Hmm... the GX7950 is alone VERY fast (faster than the 7900GTX see here ), it doesn't need Quad SLI. Thanks for the note about the Cavair though, I thought it was quite a good hard drive... Hmmm... Good that you mentioned otherwise. Yeah, and if you read my post, you will see that I said he could easily choose an FX62, just he was thinking FX60, so that is what I put.

Quite a good spec that:

Couple of problems.

1. If he's not going to be overclocking there's no point getting that RAM.
2. MAJOR PROBLEM: That's a Crossfire motherboard. You can't run nVidia SLI on that.
3. The drivers for Quad SLI are rubbish - a single X1900XT can beat 2 x 7950GX2.

The case is nice, but a more well known DVD drive would be better, such as a Plextor or a Pioneer. It might also be more worthwhile buying a more quality PSU. I'll do you up a spec in a couple of days, but I don't have time at the moment sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom