Cant Install Windows!

PhR33k

Solid State Member
OK well this is a follow up from my last post-http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=40409

Well I did everything you guys suggested but the main problem is I cant even repair or reinstall windows!! It comes up with that same error screen (picture in link above) after I agree with the terms and policy for installing Windows! I am at a total loss right now and am need of some serious help :confused: :confused:

Well looking at the picture, it seems that the RAM istelf has several errors on it, making it corrupt some files. That means to buy some other RAM, or to swap from another PC.

I did some research in other forums, and this is indicative of a RAM issue. First off, make sure that your RAM is the same brand, speed, and preferrably size. Download memtest86 onto a bootable CDRom and boot from there (note that downloading the memtest app from memtest86.com gives you an ISO and requires you to use a program like Nero that supports ISOs to burn it into a bootable CD). Once you have booted from the CD, run some diagnostic tests on your RAM and see if any errors pop up. If so, the problem lies within your memory. Here's the link to memtest86.com:
http://www.memtest86.com

Another option I found is that you may have a corrupt virtual memory page file. To fix this, follow these directions (copied and pasted from another forum):

01. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

02. Select the Advanced tab.

03. Press the Settings button under Performance.

04. Select the Advanced tab.

05. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

06. Select No paging file and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

07. Press OK, OK, and OK.

08. Shutdown and restart your computer.

09. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

10. Select the Advanced tab.

11. Press the Settings button under Performance.

12. Select the Advanced tab.

13. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

14. Select System Managed size and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

15. Press OK, OK, and OK.

16. Shutdown and restart your computer.

You can thank "That Computer Guy" forum for these directions. I would definitely try the second method involving the page file first. If recreating the page file doesn't remedy the problem, then the problem may lie physically with your memory. Let me know what turns up.

ok well one problem is I cant even log into windows. safe mode-restarts, boot normally-blue error then restarts, last good config-blue error then restarts.

well if its my ram can i switch this ram im using on my dell right now to mabe that will tell me if its corrupt?

I guess you can try the RAM in your Dell (if it is the same speed like PC3200 or the sort). If it works OK in your other computer, then it would be the RAM sticks. Or try downloading memtest86 (iso format from memtest86.com) and burning it to a bootable CD. That would tell you if the RAM is bad, if it comes up with errors. Try that first, as taking the RAM out of the Dell might void any existing warranty it has.

Back
Top Bottom