ddr ram question

thomper76

Beta member
hi,
am running amd athlon 2400 with 512mb ram.....tried a 1gb ram stick and pc still only recognised it as 512mb????,perhaps my cpu or motherboard cant handle the larger memory.any feedback would be much appreciated thanks in advance,one more thing i had removed the old memory first i realise ram must be of same size if more than one fitted.

gazza.

What are your CPU and Motherboard stats (like CPU socket, motherboard chipset/ maker, etc.)? This really shouldn't be happening. So you have the 1 Gig stick in without the 512 stick? Or both? RAM sticks don't have to be identical if more than one is fitted, just with DUAL-Channel RAM.

Usually a problem like that all comes down to the motherboard; which one are you currently using?

ok guys firstly thanks to those who replied....i have done some research of my own and the m/b does not support the speed of the new memory..which is pc3200 i need pc2100.i got it from a friend so can return it and get the correct one...once again cheers and i have a little bit more.
gazza.
the m/b is a syntax sv266a.i searched for the compatible memory from this info.

yes you should match up the proper RAM to your MB but even still i know a faster RAM module can still work in some computers although the motherboard will automatically slow it down to speeds that it can handle and/or recognize. But since it seems to be an older MB this just simply might not work. But at least you can give it back to your friend :)

i dont think its a speed issue, i think its that the motherboard is so old it doesnt support 1gb cards and the max it recognizes is 512mb, getting the right speed probably wont make any diff at all

Yeah, gaming_freak might have something here. Since even RAM too fast is usually slowed down to match the ones already in it (however stable that may end up).

But, I'd of thought even a rather old motherboard would support at least 1gb, but who knows.

It should support 1GB, at least, it's got four memory slots, it must be the speed. Put the RAM in, and go into the BIOS, and step the speed down to PC2100.

Back
Top Bottom