FSB Questio

shooler

Solid State Member
Hi,

Okay, hoping someone here can clear up something for me. I've read that the Front Side Bus is the speed that your cpu can communicate with the system memory and other drives. I've been looking at computer parts online with the intention of wanting to build my own computer, and I've seen some nice motherboard/cpu combo deals on tigerdirect.com. My question is does the listed FSB of the motherboard restrict the bus speed of the processor? For example, in this combo, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...details.asp?EdpNo=1949712&sku=MCM-K8M8MS-3300
the motherboard has an FSB of 800mhz while the processor's bus speed is 1600mhz. Since the motherboard is only 800, will it only let the processor work at 800? Perhaps I have this all wrong and someone can clear it up for me. Thanks :)

Don't worry - you've got it all wrong :p

The speed of the processor is calculated by: Front Side Bus x Multiplier = Processor Speed.

When you are buying a faster processor, you are getting the same Front Side Bus (200mhz on all Socket 754 processors) but a higher multiplier, making a faster processor.

The processors Bus Speed is not 1600mhz, its 200mhz. The processors actual speed is 1600mhz ;)

Just a tip - while thats a good setup, it supports AGP graphics cards only (the one type). So, if you plan on gaming, then its not good. However, while many people would save "It's Socket 754, it must be rubbish, get AM2 it's W00T!" if you just want to use the PC as a Sky+ box or just as a normal PC for work and a few games, Socket 754 is not totally dead and there are still cards being released for AGP which are very good :)

Thanks prosser for clearing that up.
I want to build the pc for experience mostly, but I'd like to make a fairly good system that can run World of Warcraft on the best settings for the lowest price :cool:
So for a motherboard you'd reccomend PCI express over an AGP one? Any other helpful tips? :D

TBH, it might be best going Socket 939 :p

Epox have released a very good SLI MicroATX Socket 939 board which is also relatively cheap - stick in a 3000+ and 512MB of RAM, along with a 6600GT (the cheapest, relatively good graphics card) and you'll have a modern PC which can run pretty much anything :p

Look around a bit - don't discount Intel from old myths like them being more expensive.

Also, consider the Pentium D 805 for a dual core - incredibly cheap!

Back
Top Bottom