GEForce 6800 GS fan issues

The max temperature I would suggest you let the core go to when working the hardest is 100 degrees C
(110 degrees C is the very up most you should let it get to)

Video cards can handle more heat than a CPU can you see.

Any higher than that, I'd you better speed those fans up a bit more.

Yes 100 degrees C :p

Video cards can handle 110 degrees C though but keep it at 90-100 degrees C for safey.
Its best you don't push it that high, but they can handle it.
Anymore than that though, and you'll get issues.

Reading off a mag, a Radeon X1900XT/X have a thermal cut off point at 120 Degrees C, which means the card will just shut off.

Taking that information, and putting it towards a CPU, AMD CPU's have a cut off point of 80 degrees C.

The higher you push components, the more damage they encounter though in later life. Something called electromigration, where ions from the conductive metal move to each other resulting in gates in circuits, etc to fail.

lol i knew that ^_^;; so 212F.... holy shit i dwouldn't let my GPU get over 170 if my life depended on it lol....well maybe i would. but is it really safe to run it that hot? even over 150F?

AMD CPUs have a cut off point of 80C, but that doesn't mean they can survive that high. Going into the 70s for both CPUs and midrange GPUs is a bit high.

prosser13 said:
AMD CPUs have a cut off point of 80C, but that doesn't mean they can survive that high. Going into the 70s for both CPUs and midrange GPUs is a bit high.
yea intel has a cut off point as well but i'mn not sure what it is, i think it;s like 185F or somewhere near there....but i'm not 2 sure

Check my edited post :)

I didn't say it was best to run it that high, but what I'm saying is it can handle that temperature if it needed too.

But use common sense.

If you want to slow fan speeds down, its obvious in a low conditioned case, that temps are going to rise quite steadly over a short period.

Anything over 100 degrees C, and I'd increase the speed (what I'd do).

My GPU for example (6800GS - same as yours) is rather quiet, and I don't hear it (BFG model), but running hard in games, it gets to about 75 degrees C, which is fine. Thats running at the default fan speed though, so just keep watch :)

I've ordered an air extractor to put below the video card, which should cool it down by not allowing hot air to keep in the case, to have to be blown out by the fans.

Back
Top Bottom