help

asoueidan

Solid State Member
im a little confused

think of me as a total newb to computers. i have had the same comp for 5 years and it is time to get a new one. i have always delt with software and not to much with hardware. there are alot of new cpus coming out and i need to know what is best to buy but before i do that i need to know what is going on. when i bought my computer thhigher the cpu speed the better the preformance. now there are cpus coming out that run at 1.6 ghz that say they out preform comps at 3.o ghz. and the whole thing about duel core cpus. will a duel core running at 2.8 ghz be better than a p4 runing at 3.2 ghz i am really confused. and sorry for sounding so stupid.

well I'd go with the amd X2 (dual core) processors. But wait until they drop the prices, I think it was in the end of this month. Then u can get those like 30% cheaper.

Thats AMD for you. They run at slower clock speeds than Pentium processors but they can do more a clock, making them faster. Basically if AMD specifies at 2.2ghz, and is listed as 3500+, its as fast or faster than a 3.5ghz Pentium 4 in some tasks.

AMD are better gamers than Intel Pentiums, but Pentiums have the edge in video editing/encoding and the processor intensive type tasks: even more so on some programs if you have an Extreme Edition (Basically a true CPU core, and a theoretical CPU (unworked clocks go to do something useful, sort of emulating dual core performance)

Though, yeah, right as of now, if you have the money, and since prices are dropping, I'd seriously consider an X2 :)

As for Dual Core, if its specced at 2.8ghz for example, thats both chips.
With Dual Core though, its alot better, and if programs work with Dual Core (more and more will), you'll get alot more performance.

Still though, alot of programs dont work with Dual Core, so you won't get a performance boost over a single core processor.

That said though, Windows can work in Dual Core mode, so for instance, all the main processor tasks could go to one processor, and then, your music player, Internet, for example could be running on another, speeding tasks up.

Another good example would be one CPU handling a game (a game running in single core mode, but windows running in Dual Core mode), and the other CPU handling an Antivirus scan at the same time! (Something Single Core CPU's find VERY hard, if not impossible to do).

So, yeah, some things worth thiking about :D

Thats full dual core useage right there, and when prices drop, it'll be great value for money.

Any chance you could answer the following questions, then I'll (and everyone else) will have a better idea of what will suit you?

1. Do you use your PC for multi-tasking a lot? i.e. burning a CD while listening to music and surfing the web, or playing a game and burning a CD?

2. Do you game? If so, which games?

3. Whats your budget?

4. Do you want a quiet computer, or are you not concerned about noise?

5. Do you want a lot of hard drive space, as you have lots of data, music, games, etc?

6. Do you watch films a lot on your PC?

7. Do you want a monitor with the PC? If so, do you want a TFT or a CRT, and what size do you have in mind?

8. Do you want to build the PC yourself?

What's going on in the CPU world? A lot :p

AM2 - AMDs new socket - has just been released, and Core Duo 2 is being released at the end of this month by Intel. Core 1 is already out, and LGA775 is now no longer Intels main line.

To quieten my PC down, I ordered yesterday, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO (finally), 2 quiet 80mm fans (but still push alot of air), and 1 120mm fan (again, quiet but rather powerful). (All temperature controlled).

I don't think at the moment, for instance, water cooling is needed, when there are high performing, quiet fans/heatsinks now that do the same job now for cheaper.

The loudest part of the PC for me then will be the Power Supply, as this does tend to be quite loud.

Haha, I know but I was just explaining the best way to go about cooling :p

Its a shame really, but my powersupply has 1 60mm fan I believe, and then another sucking hot air in, and these 2 together are quite loud...

thanks for breaking it down for me prosser13

1 i always multi task not as much now because i am starting to play games that demand a lot from my computer

2 i play alot of games on my computer
AOE 3
CS:S
UT2004
WARCRAFT
HALO
BF2

3 i am looking to pay no more than 1000

4 i have most of the hardware(harddrive, cd/dvd, powersupply)
all i am looking to buy is a new tower, motherboard, cpu, and memory)

6 i dont watch films but i would like to start

7 i want like a 21in hd i seen a gateway for 500

8 i want to build the pc myself

i am able to wait until the end of the month but i dont know if intels ne cpu is better than amd2

Corno Duo from what I hear will be better then AM2. Frankly I intend going with AM2 since I like AMD.

And its not all about GHz. My 2.0 GHz CPU is rated at 3.2 Ghz if compared to a intel. I can easly make that 3.5, or 3.6 with overclocking.

Wiat till july 24th, and that 1,000 budget will GO MUCH FUTHUR considering on a CPU you could say 160+ bucks comapred to July 22nd.

Back
Top Bottom