Installing XP SP1

Technically, you are supposed to have to obtain a new product key when you change a major component within your system. I think all would agree that if you change out a mobo, it effectively is a different computer. This area of the license agreement with Microsoft is in a "grey" area.

In short: Use the XP SP1 disc you installed before, usually you will be able to activate the key at least 3-5 times before it will flag you, and even if it does, you have to call Microsoft and tell them you have to reinstall due to a virus problem or something, and they give you a new key- well, not a key, but a long series of numbers. There is a way around all of this though, as long as you're using the same product key.........Read This...

I have used my Home Edition SP1 disc on more than one computer, and activated it successfully. Shouldn't be an issue with the product key. After you run the install GUI, Windows will look like it is booting to the operating system, but in the middle of the boot process, it will take you to another screen. This is where the activation is. Sometimes, I don't have Internet access, so I access over the phone. You don't even need to give your name, as it is an automated system. After the installation is complete, go ahead and install SP2 and the necessary patches. That should take care of the OS.

john123 said:
omg, why the hell would you need a new key? your using it on the same comp so its not illegal. and i activated a copy on many (of my) pcs before and it works fine.
okkk calm down!! i know its the same pc but as the hardware changed so much i just figured you might need a new key but i guess you might not after all.

john123 said:
omg, why the hell would you need a new key? your using it on the same comp so its not illegal. and i activated a copy on many (of my) pcs before and it works fine.
This post is the subject of a report, calm down, now! :mad:

yes it will work
stick all you new hardware in and reinstall
you will probally get an error when you activate windows
call microsoft with the number there
then swear that you uninstalled XP on the last comp (or hardware config in ur case)
microsoft should let you activeate now

Back
Top Bottom