Have a Virus, only works in safe mode and I cant install my new anti virus!! HELP!!

Jucin

Solid State Member
Basically caught a virus, so it went from my computer being able to work in normal mode to now only being able to work in safe mode. I downloaded mcafee and it wont let me run it in safe mode. If I fire normal mode up it just sits there in the black screen and says loading and will do that all day. My brother said to try stinger in safe mode and I got nothing with that either!
Ive tried F8 debugging mode, last known good config mode, everything.

Guys Help I dont want to wipe this drive out I have too much stuff on here.
What can I do? THANKS! numbers to call

seems to be pretty messed up, so u might have to reformat, but there is a few things u can try.

First boot into safe mode with networking. Then go to start -> run -> msconfig -> startup. Then google for all the processes, and when u find the virus uncheck it. This should prevent the virus from starting the next time windows does. Then try restarting windows in normal mode. U might also want to have a program like teatimer (comes with spybot s&d) so the virus can't add to the startup without ur permission.

If that doesn't work then go to safe mode with networking again and try some online virus scans. I believe that trendmicro has a good one, not sure though. But u will find lot's of online virus scans from google.

If nothing else helps then back up all important files (to another computer or an external hdd or burn them on dvds) and then reformat.

Re: Have a Virus, only works in safe mode and I cant install my new anti virus!! HELP!!

one other little trick he could try is turning off system restore and rebooting, then turning it back on. this will eliminate some virus's too. just a note of caution when doing this....once you turn off system restore, it will erase any previous system restores you have made, but sometimes it's a last resort before doing a re-format.

~mr mixx~ said:
one other little trick he could try is turning off system restore and rebooting, then turning it back on. this will eliminate some virus's too. just a note of caution when doing this....once you turn off system restore, it will erase any previous system restores you have made, but sometimes it's a last resort before doing a re-format.
How do you do this, Im not too sure? Thanks for your replys guys !

Re: Have a Virus, only works in safe mode and I cant install my new anti virus!! HELP!!

Right click my computer click properties, then system restore tab and its all there :)

trying that trendmicro and it gets to scanning and says "Windows Drive Not Ready""
" SThis drive is not ready for use, its door may be open. Please check drive and make sure that a disc is inserted and that the drive door is closed'" What does this mean?

Also tried the system restore and got nothing.

Here's a pic of what you should see.

untitled1.JPG

Check the box that says turn off system restore. That's all you have to do, but like mr mixx said, it will delete all your previous system checkpoints. So, don't do this unless it is a last resort.

what drive is it talking about ? ..the cd-drive ? and are you scanning in windows mode or in safmode ?

Im in safe mode and it says it couldnt delete any of the viruses.

I did that with the system restore and rebooted still the same. What are some of the things I should leave on the system config startup? Ill start with that now.

Back
Top Bottom