External HDD's

Originally Posted by natej315
Ive got the Simple tech 250gb 7200rpm hardrive it works great

Again, how long did it last?

I have had it probally about 9 or so months never had any problems none

Did I mention that the one i got came with like a 80 dollar rebate thingy? at least i think it was 80 i dont remember

That seems pretty convincing... and it's armed with a 7200RPM HDD.

Here's my long list of possibilities:
1. Western Digital My Book Essential WDG1U1600N 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache USB 2.0 External Hard Drive- Not badly priced, features 8MB cache... good company, priced at $113
2. IOGEAR COMBO ION GHD335C160W4 160GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a External Hard Drive- Cheap as hell at $90, but dismal 2MB cache and reviews.
3. iomega SILVER DESKTOP 33213 160GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
4. LACIE d2 301033U 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a / IEEE 1394b External Hard Drive- Pricey at $149, but has 8MB cache... however, the WD option also features that.
5. Seagate Pushbutton Backup ST3160026A-RK 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache USB 2.0 External Hard Drive- This toprated external hdd features great reviews, 8MB cache... all it doesn't have is the best price, though it is close to the WD MyBook @ $124.
6. SimpleTech SimpleDrive STI-USB235/160 160GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache USB 2.0 External Hard Drive- This drive is pretty cheap at $102, but unfortunately its performance of 2MB cache makes a strict correspondence.

Yeah, so that's the list. Please make your decisions... I'm looking strongly at the Western Digital and Seagate.

I've had the WD My Book essential now for about a month. I got the 250GB version, but it's only got a 2mb cache. For a backup drive I couldn't fault it. Seems pretty quick, is quite and isn't hot.

Looks pretty nice with a button at the front so it's easy to turn on and off. I just let mine boot up with the pc and shutdown with the pc. I wouldn't know it was there apart from the extra storage space.

The only slight issue I had was that it was preformatted to FAT32. That wasn't a problem though. I plugged it in, straight away the 'Found new hardware' popped up and it was installed in seconds. Appeared in Explorer straight away so I just right clicked and chose format. Chose the NTFS system and let it do it's thing. An hour later it was ready and it's been faultless since.

Easily transferrable between computers too. Hope this helps

I wouldn't do it the way you want to.

My dad had an external hard drive (200gb) and i dropped an iron on it. I know that was stupid, but the USB connection broke inside.

I opened it up, and low and behold, guess what I found? A regular Western Digital hard drive with a SATA cable going to a controller board to change the signals to USB and Firewire, and being sold by Lacie for a higher price.

I also find out, that its actually cheaper to buy an internal hard drive, and buy a external case for it, which changes it into USB/firewire.
The case would only cost you about £15-£20 extra, to change any drive, and thats alot cheaper, than going for a make that'll charge you triple that to do the same thing.
They are widely available, and you'll save ALOT of money in doing so.

Well, that's actually better that they have a normal internal hdd in there... it's better overall, besides the price. What about Seagate?

In addition, I probably wouldn't be able to make myself an external hdd... and I'd like an external.
^In response to Kage

G9 said:
Well, that's actually better that they have a normal internal hdd in there... it's better overall, besides the price. What about Seagate?

In addition, I probably wouldn't be able to make myself an external hdd... and I'd like an external.
^In response to Kage

I would go with the Seagate, because not only is it a second hard drive that you can put your data on, it also doubles as a backup drive to back up your primary drive. That, in itself, would come in handy for me, because I have experienced my computer crashing before and having to rebuild. One reason why I invested in Ghost.

Back
Top Bottom