Must Read...

dwillis77

Solid State Member
I chose that subject title for a specific reason: because in all my years of building computers and playing games I have never seen anything like this before.

I builty my computer with the following parts:

X1900 AIW graphics card
Xpress 3200 crossfire mobo (asus)
1 gig memory (low I know)
Sata 250GB HD
AMD 3500+ (venice core) processor

I have posted this problem here before but none of the suggestions worked and I now have some more information. Here it goes:

After building my computer and installing some anti-virus software, drives, mozilla, etc. I installed BF 2 and F.E.A.R, both of which worked fine on my brothers computer which has a 6600gt graphics card. However, when I installed mine and ran it (BF 2 and F.E.A.R) they would freeze up for 3 seconds at a time every 10 seconds. It would even do this during the EA startup thing. I have re-formated my computer, re-installed the drivers, turned off anti-virus but alas...nothing changed. I also ran 3DMark05 and my scores were only very slightly below people with the same graphics cards (but a better processor). So I now turn to you guys in hopes that someone will have some way to fix this horrible problem.

Also, the computer seems to run fine outside of games, but when I open a game and leave task manager open CPU usage will jump to 100% during the time it freezes (or maybe during the time its not frozen...its hard to tell seeing as I have to close the game). I even swamped my graphics card and RAM for my brothers and installed the Nvidia drives (yes i un-installed the ATI ones first) and even bought a 650watt power supply but again...nothing.

Please post ANY suggestions you have, as I spent a lot of money on this computer and dont want to go through the hassel of trying to return the parts (some un-returnable).

Thanks

Nope didn't help. The game ran fine for a couple minutes, then I turned my speakers on and BAM, started doing the freeze thing. Like I said, I tried my brothers card and RAM so all thats really left is the processor and motherboard, which run fine outside of the game for the most part. Also like I said I scored fine on the 3DMark05 so that only really leaves my OS...Could it be XP? And how come it worked ok for a few seconds...also does it with F.E.A.R so it cant be a problem with BF 2 either...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

i would also try the ati omega drivers, a dude altered the drivers and thay work way better, more compatibility, more options, better gaming results, and they also have options for optimization with your motherboard bios, i would give em a try.

dwillis77 said:
Nope didn't help. The game ran fine for a couple minutes, then I turned my speakers on and BAM, started doing the freeze thing. Like I said, I tried my brothers card and RAM so all thats really left is the processor and motherboard, which run fine outside of the game for the most part. Also like I said I scored fine on the 3DMark05 so that only really leaves my OS...Could it be XP? And how come it worked ok for a few seconds...also does it with F.E.A.R so it cant be a problem with BF 2 either...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Wait, that happens because of your speakrs it sounds like?

Try taking out the sound card.

Sound cards should actually increase FPS because it takes work away from the mobo when gaming. Only by two or three frames.

Either its your sound card acting up, or the problem may lie not with in the Gcard, but the Pci Ex slot on your mother board.

Then again, your internet may be laggy, or your brother is using limewire while you play, even possibly just a bad router.

Try some of these ideas, to narrow it down.

I'd say your graphics could be possibly just a faulty card..if your system runs fine when not gaming..
If all these dont work then jump and down screaming, and punch it to hell..that might work lol

Are you saying this only happens when you turn your sound speakers on?? Can you play for any length of time with them turned off??

What kind of soundcard do you have or are you using onboard sound?

i've never used an ATi card, so i'm not familiar at all with the drivers. but is it possible that your card isn't getting enough power from the power supply?

All good suggestions, but the only one that might be plausable is the problem with the PCI-E slot: heres why.

I know its not the graphics card itself because not only were my 3DMark05 scores on par with those who have the same card, but I also put my brother card in an experienced the same problems. I know its getting enough power because, well 650watts should be enough to run 2 cards.

I also dont think its a problem with my soundboard, heres why. Every time I installed BF 2 or re-installed some drivers, the game would work fine for a short period of time, and then everytime I go to the options menu, or even the rank menu, it would start to freak out again.

This also happened last night: I was attempting to look at video on thatvideosite.com and whenever I would open one it would look terrible, with only orange and red and bright colors all pixalated and stuff...i'll post a picture if you think it would help

Could be the PCI-E slot, but then how come my 3DMark05 score are average and the game works some of the time? Im almost convinced it has to be the Mobo or XP now but...

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.

Back
Top Bottom