6600gt..

Joxely - some of these reply are so ridiculous they make me laugh!

OK, let's get this straighten out - just because 7300 is a bigger number than 6800, doesn't mean its any better! In fact, a 6600GT is about 5 times better than a 7300GS - yes, I have proof, me and my mate have compared benchmarks.

The second thing is - memory. Does anyone know what it's used for? Well, let me explain. What is does is hold textures when their in use. So the game needs a texture, decompress it, and to make things faster holds it in the memory. However, the core often lags behind the memory, and so the extra decompression space doesn't really matter. Also, to speed things up textures are kept highly compressed at the detail levels we're talking about here.

I'm not saying that the 7600GT is better than the 6600GT - I was recommending it for his budget and purposes. He could save some money on the 6600GT, and he doesn't really play many demanding games at high resolutions.

He hasn't got enough money to buy it at the moment anyway.

But please, guys and gals, if your going to make a comment - e.g. the 7300GS (which has 32MB onboard and borrows from the system memory in most versions) is better than a 6800GS, when it costs about half the price - make sure you can back it up with some facts.

prosser13 said:
Joxely - some of these reply are so ridiculous they make me laugh!

OK, let's get this straighten out - just because 7300 is a bigger number than 6800, doesn't mean its any better! In fact, a 6600GT is about 5 times better than a 7300GS - yes, I have proof, me and my mate have compared benchmarks.

The second thing is - memory. Does anyone know what it's used for? Well, let me explain. What is does is hold textures when their in use. So the game needs a texture, decompress it, and to make things faster holds it in the memory. However, the core often lags behind the memory, and so the extra decompression space doesn't really matter. Also, to speed things up textures are kept highly compressed at the detail levels we're talking about here.

I'm not saying that the 7600GT is better than the 6600GT - I was recommending it for his budget and purposes. He could save some money on the 6600GT, and he doesn't really play many demanding games at high resolutions.

He hasn't got enough money to buy it at the moment anyway.

But please, guys and gals, if your going to make a comment - e.g. the 7300GS (which has 32MB onboard and borrows from the system memory in most versions) is better than a 6800GS, when it costs about half the price - make sure you can back it up with some facts.

Id like to see your facts. Please, enlighten us with your bench marks.

For which?

I can prove th 7600GT vs 6600GT.

I'm finding it hard to get benchies for the memory though :(

I'll just go with what you guys say - go for the 256MB :p What you gotta lose :p

Yeah, the 7300 has nothing against the 6800GS (from what I've heard), though the 7600 gets a bit closer, and is about the same in speed, with a few advancements from the new archetecture, but with all the other bus type speeds, pipelines, etc, they don't really make a difference.

So, like I said, if the price is much higher, the 6800GS is a great budget choice.

Yep, well said Kage.

BTW, sorry if I offended anyone - was a bit annoyed and arrogant :p But do check your facts sometimes :p

I did find this on the web:

"GPU Geforce 7300GS
Core clock 575MHz
PixelPipelines 4
Memory Size Supporting 512MB(256MB on board) - So it doesn't just have 32mb onboard?)
Memory Interface 64-bit
Memory Type GDDR2
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz
SLI Supported No

GPU Geforce 7600GS
Core clock 550MHz
PixelPipelines 12
Memory Clock 850Mhz
Memory Size 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
SLI Supported Yes

The 7600 has 12 pixel pipelines vs the 4 of the 7300. Thats a huge difference. Also, the 7600 has 128 bit gddr2 ram while the 7300 uses 64-bit gddr2 ram which is another huge difference."

Yeah, so overall, even if the 7300 did use newer technology in the 7000 series, the resulting piepline decrease and slower ram speeds means it'll be pretty pointless at most games I'd think.

Back
Top Bottom