does anyone here have a really strict school system?

danagol said:
what-ever pic you just put up i cant even see it from the school lol,
and now i have also been baned from e-mail as i began a chain letter that only 10 or less people got!!!
did you say ur mad because ur school stopped u from sending a chain letter? i should personally thank you school for blocking e-mail then because i frekin hate chair letters. :eek:

my school is just strict against the internet being used but when two of the sound out teachers give us a go at it only some sites where filterd

It only takes one person, to find a little program that can open the task manager, then the whole network is infultrated.

We used to have MasterEye running in our first year CS Lab at Uni - made the Powerpoint lecture notes appear on your screen so you couldn't idly surf etc during lectures...

It broke. So people were on Facebook, MSN, eBay etc. during lectures. They tried again and again to fix it, it just didn't grab every machine in the room for some reason.

I think they gave up and are implementing something else.

Anyhow, AFAIK my University has NO actual web filtering whatsoever, but you get monitored - a friend of a friend decided to test it... and could eventually only access one page telling him to arrange a meeting with IT Services to discuss his use of the net. He was put under probation for ages.

We're port filtered to buggery, though - at least within the residence network - go to a hall's computer room, and more ports are open, and go to the CS Lab and ALL the ports are open. Not only that, they've got a signup system so you can register your MAC and use their systems, so I can play the odd game or two when "working" of an evening! :D

Well, where I am now, I dunno how strict it is, but I know both schools are from the same school board...so, the same Novell Clients.

It is strick enough. It prohibits newgrounds, some fun games on the net, warez, P2P, and some random sites. It blocked forums as well, but not all. I think they just blocked that Gaia thing from the net because alot of peeps where there often.

my school was wide open before i started working here. now im clamping down on everything from surfing to saving crap on the servers, to limited server access and no installing ANYTHING without my help, that includes teachers(they are just as bad as students)

I work for a jr. college, and they have all the student lab/classroom PC's locked down very tightly!! Too tight IMO. Only specified programs will run, which can create problems for students who need to run a certain application from a CD or the web for their assigment. Our firewall only has a certain number of ports open for both outgoing and incoming traffic which is a bit overkill and creates more problems than is prevents.

Back
Top Bottom