computer starts to boot then shuts off HELP!!

I had a similar problem about two years ago but I shorted out my motherboard and processor. Dunno how to check exactly what is causing the problem but it could be more than just the video card :(

Rippy087 said:
I had a similar problem about two years ago but I shorted out my motherboard and processor. Dunno how to check exactly what is causing the problem but it could be more than just the video card :(

Was yours caused by lightning or just shorted itself?

Mine shorted itself, for no apparent reason. Weather was perfect and all, I think I was just browsing the internet when it happened.

ya 2 days ago it starmed pretty bad but I live down it a valley so I don't think it was likely that lightning was the cause

ahhh. Maybe that's all mikee286 has, but usually lightning is my first step in troubleshooting when parts of the computer are black as toast in Phoenix. But he should also check his motherboard for signs of a short, or if his video card is the only affected piece. But nonetheless, I always make sure people I work with are on surge supressors anyway, just for protection.

All it takes is one close lightning strike and a computer that's not surge-supressed and you have major issues. It doesn't matter if you live in a valley, as long as there's lightning, there's issues.

nothing else is affected in my house like the other computers that are plugged directly into the wall and all other electronics in my house.

Oh well then it probably is just a short of the video card. Is it still under warranty? If not, Tiger Direct or Newegg will have a video card to your liking.

jervin32189 said:
Oh well then it probably is just a short of the video card. Is it still under warranty? If not, Tiger Direct or Newegg will have a video card to your liking.

No the computer was prebuilt in 2002 all warrenty is over, and newegg doesn't include canada. i'm cheching out tigerdirect now

Back
Top Bottom