6600gt..

Nik00117 said:
They are trying to sell you. Its more of the quality of teh ram then the quanity that counts. They are PC techies, PC techies have to sell, when they know they are talking to a person without that much knowledge well then, 256 is more $$$ then 128.

Yeah, in the Market today, its all about manipulation.

ArrizX said:
Id get another gig of ram, and ask for the 7600GT. I wouldnt even bother with that 6600GT. It cant handle newer games, and even older ones on high your FPS would suffer. Not to mention barely being able to get high out of todays games.

Maybe something more like a 6800GS would suit you?

I agree very much with arrix,

the 7600gt suits me well, and it will last a lot longer than a 6800gt or 6800gs...definitely. you don't really absolutely need 2gigs, most games require one. you'd be happier if you got only 1 gig and the 7600gt. hey, you could always add another stick whenever you get the money.

i can play pretty much any game on high with this baby. go with evga, with their lifetime warranties and step-up program, you can't go wrong

happy birthday!

Yeah, but its questionable wheather its worth the extra money, since its still a card that I've read limits out, just like the 6800GS does at higher resoloutions.

So even though it has slightly newer technology within it, you don't get any of that really making any difference where it matters.

Though looking at Newegg, there seems to be no real 6800GS's available, and they are higher priced...I doubt thats right.

Though, I guess if you can get it for the same type of price as the 6800GS, its just as worth it.

much more, and I'd consider it not.

6600GT is just too old to bother with now. IMO, the weakest card anyone should have for playing the newest games is probably the 7600GT. Oblivion has to run at 640x480 with the settings at medium to high just to keep a good framerate.

MikeReiner said:
6600GT is just too old to bother with now. IMO, the weakest card anyone should have for playing the newest games is probably the 7600GT. Oblivion has to run at 640x480 with the settings at medium to high just to keep a good framerate.
Well I can run oblivion with 800x600 (or 1024x768, don't remember) on high settigs with a 6800GT without any problems with slow framerate. (don't know what fps I get, but there is no lag so the fps is good enough)
Still haven't found a game I couldn't run on high with my 6800GT, so a 6800GT is definitely enough for todays games, and will be enough untill dx10 comes.

mammikoura said:
Well I can run oblivion with 800x600 (or 1024x768, don't remember) on high settigs with a 6800GT without any problems with slow framerate. (don't know what fps I get, but there is no lag so the fps is good enough)
Still haven't found a game I couldn't run on high with my 6800GT, so a 6800GT is definitely enough for todays games, and will be enough untill dx10 comes.

It largely depends on what you consider an acceptable framerate I suppose. A 7600GT is about as powerful as a 6800GT in terms of performance.. but in terms of features...

MikeReiner said:
It largely depends on what you consider an acceptable framerate I suppose. A 7600GT is about as powerful as a 6800GT in terms of performance.. but in terms of features...
yeah. But as I said, for me an acceptable frame rate is the rate where there is no lag at all, so in fps games that's like 60, in games like oblivion it's quite much less.

"A 7600GT is about as powerful as a 6800GT in terms of performance.. but in terms of features..."

But the extra features in the 7000 series when running at a much lower pipeline/bus rate means that the extra features don't really get much headroom to do what they are meant for.

So the performance being as good as the 6800GS prooves that the technology in the 7000 series lower end chips aren't being put to good use, and are so just as good as a 2 year old 6000 series chip.

Im going to go for the 6800GS guys, thanks for all the replies, they all helped. So, it's the 6800GS, and 2GB RAM for me :)

BTW - I only aim to play them on low settings, I cant game at all on my FX5500, so it'll be nice just to play them on low settings..

You'll be very impressed then :)

The 6800GS should be able to be play games at Medium/High alot of the time.

On Need For Speed Most Wanted for example, my computer gets about 20/30fps on high with 2x antialising (bit better at 0)/ 1280x1024 res.

Back
Top Bottom