Video Card/Mobo

Lord Mythirion

In Runtime
What kind of video card do you guys think I should get? My budget is up to $175. And do you think I should get a socket AM2 motherboard, or stick with a 939?

TRDCorolla said:
Socket AM2 by far without looking back. Socket 939 is museum quality, almost.

Hardly, be a long time before it's dead..I have 478, I would kill for 939!

I may have exaggerated a little, hehe. You know what I mean. Socket 939 is not the premier socket anymore but people like me still have them or a majority of us for that matter. AM2 is new so that's what I would be getting if you're starting a new build now.

AM2 has no real advantage over 939 at the moment - the high latencys of the DDR2 RAM kill off any advantage of the architecture :p

To upgrade to AM2, you'd need a new motherboard, new CPU, and new RAM - your looking at about $500 minimum. Upgrade to Socket 939 - the processors have dropped in value a lot - for example, the 3700+'s are overclocking very well at the moment and are extremely cheap.

In that budget, I'd pick a 6600GT any day of the week ;)

Stick with the 939's. Am2 isn't as highly developed as the 939 socket is right now. You wouldn't see much of a performance boost anyway. I suggest a x850xt or a 6600gt for your video card, but I'm not sure if they fit your budget. Look it up on newegg and lemme know what you decide.

An X850XT would be way out of his budget, but a 6600GT is definitely in it.

AM2 is as highly developed - if not more. It's got loads of new technology, it's just the RAM which is hold it back :roll:

Back
Top Bottom