6600gt..

joxley1990

Golden Master
Hey, well it's my birthday pretty soon, my 16th, so im asking for some computer parts..

Im asking for a 6600GT, 2GB RAM, and 2 identical hard drives to put in RAID0.

The RAM and hard drives are not a problem, just the 6600GT. I did have a good chat with prosser about it, and he was very helpful (thanks again mate).

Now, he told me, the 128MB version, and 256MB version are the same, and you wont notice any sort of difference, and I was all with im on that..so I rang the shop earlier, and I was going to place one on order, and they asked me if I wanted the 128MB version, or the 256MB version, and I said, well I wont notice a difference between them, so Ill just take the 128MB version..

So..they laughed! Well, not literally, but they disagreed..they said getting the 256MB I would notice a nice different, and I know some of you may just say "They just want to sell it you for the money" Nopee..I know the guys who work there, and Im mates with three of them - so I know they are being honest..

So, which one, 128MB or 256MB? It's prob going to be PCI-e as well, although im not sure if my slot is working - so im presuming it is - if it isant, ill just get the AGP - but that doesnt matter anyhow..

Also, could someone point me in a differnet direction regarding RAM, Ive got £120 for 2GB DDR266 so far..errr..?

Thanks alot

James

I wouldn't honestly bother with the 6600GT anymore. Go with a 6800GS or above, as they all don't cost that much different in price.

The 6600GT though good, will struggle in newer games.

My 6800GS struggles and thats newer.

As for the RAM on the card, go no lower than 256mb for nowadays games. I wouldn't suggest to anyhow, as to run on full settings, you'll need more than 128mb to store all the texture cache, and even on lower settings, some new games may struggle.

well.. 6600gt is a good care no doubt i have a BFG 6600gt 128mb Pci-ex. And its fsat... like i dont know how but i am running bf2 with full settings on high and Anti-leasing on 4x with 70fps and highest resoulution lol. Mabey i got a really lucky card lol. But its a good card. You can always upgrade in the future to like a 7900gt or something

definitely go with the 256mb version. There might not be too much difference in performance, but the price difference should also be pretty small, and since u are getting it as a gift it really doesn't matter that much. :)
But as Kage said, if u can, get a better card.

And Kage, might be about ur ram, since I don't have any problems in any games with my 6800GT. (using 2GB ram)

Also, why are u getting ddr266 ram? Ddr400 is quite much older than pci-e, so if ur mobo has a pci-e slot I'd assume that it can use ddr400.

Ermm, might go with the 6800GS then, what about the RAM, anyone got any links to cheapy ones? I want 2GB :)

The 6800GS is good.
The 7600GS though is also out, which doesn't cost alot more I don't think.

That said though, reviews I've read have speculated that the difference in fps in alot of games past a certain point is questionable, because even though it has advancements in technology compared to the 6000 series, because of the pixel pipelines etc being the same/about the same, the difference isn't that noticable, and they both end up levelling out at a certain point.

I have 1gb of RAM. I may upgrade to 2gb though at a later date :)

iv got PCI-E 6600GT 256MB, its a really gd card 2 overclock, but not the best now, u wouldnt be able 2 play bf2 on high, u can play farcry and halflife 2 on high tho.

Id get another gig of ram, and ask for the 7600GT. I wouldnt even bother with that 6600GT. It cant handle newer games, and even older ones on high your FPS would suffer. Not to mention barely being able to get high out of todays games.

Maybe something more like a 6800GS would suit you?

7300GT. Excellent budget card. Plus, via RivaTuner you can unlock those extra pipelines and turn it into a 7600GS/GT. XD

So..they laughed! Well, not literally, but they disagreed..they said getting the 256MB I would notice a nice different, and I know some of you may just say "They just want to sell it you for the money" Nopee..I know the guys who work there, and Im mates with three of them - so I know they are being honest..

They are trying to sell you. Its more of the quality of teh ram then the quanity that counts. They are PC techies, PC techies have to sell, when they know they are talking to a person without that much knowledge well then, 256 is more $$$ then 128.

Go with a better CPU, you won't be too incredialy happy with a 6600 now. 6800 would be min, 7300 idealy.

Back
Top Bottom