sound quality

mikee

Fully Optimized
I currently own 2 computers, an old amd k6 500mhz and an athlon xp 1800+ both are running xp pro but I have realized that the sound quality on the k6 is alot clearer and better bass than on the newer computer This is just confusing.

well is the sound card on your current rig is onboard, is the amd k6 have an onboard as well, or a sound card that plugs into the slots in the back?

Yeah, you'll find that if its dedicated sound, the sound will be of much better quality.
Thats why I believe that if you test dedicated sound, you'll never go back to onboard, however many outputs it has.

my onboard for both intel and ASUS have been good, i just notice alot more detail in games and such with my live! 24-bit, and also a little less noise when paying music, otherwise i don't really see much of a difference

Thats why then.

I have a Soundblaster Live sound board plugged into PCI, and it'd still beat any Onboard chip, and I'm not just saying that.

The fact it doens't use any extra PC resources, so sounds better/doesn't lag/jump when PC's loading, etc.

As for the extra sound you hear, thats obviously because it has a lower signal to noise ratio, which isn't good what so ever. Especially if you have a good set of speakers to boot.

Its worth paying for a card just for sound, and £30-£40 is worth it for what you get out of it.

My Sound Blaster Live card has lasted me about 4-5 years now, and I'm still to change it.

Ya on my 1800 i get some static when i move minimize and maximize windows i dont get when i use the old computer with the soundblaster

It's because you have onboard, and with a PCI sound card, you get dedicated sound through the PCI bus. That way you don't have to work off the motherboard. I always go for the PCI sound card. Even when I worked on older computers, say, Pentium (r) 166 MHz, they always had an ISA or a PCI sound card. Just a little food for the thought.

Yeah, you'll notice that the moving of windows producing noise is a common factor with any onboard sound. It also tends to pick up hard drive noise somehow, and puts this into the speakers. Its very nasty...

A creative sound blaster live card will not set you back more than £15, and its a damn sight better, and if you get a 5.1 Live card, a much better option by far, than any onboard kit out today.

and jervin32189, I think your right.

I believe older PC's when they first arrive didn't have onboard sound. They all used dedicated sound boards that I encountered.

Sound Blaster AWE 64, my old 200mhz system had in it. A pretty good worthy board...

Back
Top Bottom