Slow Computer problems

YoTank Girl

Solid State Member
OK first thing: the computer I'm working on has an 80gig hard drive, but it was partitioned before we bought it to have a C drive with 16 gigs on it and a D drive with 58.5 gigs on it. Now the C drive only has 1.8gigs of space left on it, and I've moved all the My Documents and My Pictures folders and basically any file that was downloaded or created by a person onto the D drive, but that hardly did anything. I tried to run the defragger, but C only has 11% free, and it wanted 15% free to run that.

The second thing: I know there's a virus on this computer something like counter.cab, but I can't get rid of it because I can only delete it in safe mode, but when I start the computer in safe mode the screen goes blank so I can't delete it.

Basically my biggest question is what on earth is taking up so much space on the C drive? I know that there are a lot of programs installed on this thing, but I wouldn't think that there's enough to equal 14 gigs.
Maybe the virus is causing the extra space to be taken up?
If I could re-partition the drives to make the C drive bigger, would the computer run faster?

I'm not too good with this kind of stuff, but I have a suggestion on the virus... seems like this problem could originate from multiple viruses/etc... so run Ad-Aware, AVG, Clam AV, Spy Doctor, Spybot: Search and Destroy... those are all free. Still nothing? There's SpySweeper, IMO the best anti-spyware... then a list of well-known anti-virus: nod32, norton AV, McAffee.

I agree with G9, but want to add on. I would suggest for you to repartition your drive. There are two methods of going about this. You could repartition using FDISK (but you will lose all your data unless you back it up). That will take care of the 14 GB issue. Then just FDISK to one primary partition and format it. Then reload the OS and other apps you use everyday.

Another way to go about this will cost you a little money, but will keep your data intact. Go get a copy of Partition Magic 8. It uses Windows to repartition the disk without losing the current partition data. The bad thing about this, though, is that it could easily cost $69 or so. You might want to go the other route.

Also, to answer your question, yes, the computer would run faster because the page file would be larger, therefore more data can be stored there at a time, speeding up applications.

ok thanks I'll try those things, I think I have some version of Partition Magic here so I can repartition the hard drive, and I can run those other programs to look for other viruses, but the problem still remains that I can't get into safe mode. Is that a problem caused by the driver not being loaded for the monitor? If so would hooking up a different monitor help with that?

No. If you can't get into Safe Mode, it's not the monitor driver, because Safe Mode uses a Windows default driver that only does 16 colors, so if you had to go in Safe Mode because of your video card, you could run in a diagnostic mode to troubleshoot. I think some form of malware is causing you not to go into Safe Mode. My call would be to run those programs G9 mentioned, and use Partition Magic to repartition the drive.

try ccleaner before u do partitioning. it may be able 2 get u alot of space free on the c drive (has done gigs for me before) u can get it here:.....nvm.. i can't go 2 it at work but google ccleaner. it's the uber version of disk cleanup :)

To see what take a lot of space, Select properties on a folder different than Program Files and Windows. If it's bigger than normal, walk your way into the subdirectory.

Back
Top Bottom