Does my card support Dolby Digital

lordbrian

Beta member
I have a Realtek AC97 Audio sound card that came with my PC when I bought it. I wanted to know if my card would support Dolby Digital surround Sound because I want to get a nice set of speakers. Is there a way I can check to see if my card supports it or will I need to just get a new one that I know for sure does?

I was just going to ask this same type of question .

I was going to Buy Logitech Z5500, with dolby digital 5.1...
But does that mean your sound card has to have that? or since it has it's own amp/reciever, it will take a audio output from an integrated audio source and turn it into something good?

http://www.reachdata.ca/nw/main.asp?lg=0&pid=2821 z5500

I only have a PCI x1 slot left, would it be necesary to upgrade a sound card?

I just checked, the computer I have has "AC '97 Audio, Dolby 5.1 (6-Channel)"

I did that by checking the website that I bought it off though.

When i check my "sound" by running dxdiag, it only says

"Realtek AC '97 Audio" though.

I could take out my 56kmodem i suppose to add a sound card.

Well, how many outputs does it have?

As long as it has the specified 5.1 or whatever, then theres a chance it can, with a decoder, like really good speakers have, though most likely a true decoder needs optical outputs, and I'm pretty sure that won't, though who knows.

That said though, mine wouldn't be able to, and I'm sure mines better than any onboard alternative really (Sound Blaster Live).

Your best off getting a dedicated sound board for the job. A Creative would do wonders.

WHY?:

Well onboard sound will never do a set of speakers like Logitechs set, any justice what so ever, even if it supported 100 speakers...

From my research, it would appear to support surround sound, but feel free to correct me. It had 5 ports, red, green, blue, orange, black. It is an integrated soundcard, right?

Back
Top Bottom